Choosing School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cocoloco

Choosing School

Post by cocoloco »

Wondering whether to choose school which will offer chance of sibling place for younger child later or just to go for best one for eldest and worry about the second one when the time comes? Eldest scored highly so has lots of options. Any advice?
theonly1

Re: Choosing School

Post by theonly1 »

Hello, of course I would say go for best school for eldest child. Is there any reason why second child will not do so well?
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Only you can answer that. You need to look at all scenarios. If you eventually have them at 2 different schools is that doable from a family / travel perspective. My DD1 went to Grammar and I always felt DD2 would go to the local comp. We were happy as a family to have them at different schools as travel to both OK and the comp. is a great school. DD2 surprised us and ended up at the grammar too, but that was just a nice bonus then that both at same school.
If you don't take the sibling option and your second child doesn't do as well, would you be happy with the school they would get? If so then you take the best school for oldest child. If you wouldn't be happy then need to consider sibling option - but also how your oldest would feel about that.
boardfleet

Post by boardfleet »

as the form had to be in by 31 October, any advice we give OP now is rather too late?

OP- what did you decide?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

For what it's worth, my opinion would be, don't make / allow a child to take an entrance test for a school with no sibling preference if you don't intend to let them choose that school if they qualify.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

If the schools being considered are within commutable distance then I would be open to my children going to any of them. I would not want to withhold any opportunities for them.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

I don't see the need for both siblings to be in the same school at secondary level unlike primary.

I have 2 at the same school but would have been happy for DD2 to attend a different school if it would have suited her better.

DD has a friend from primary who was not involved in her school choice because she was going to the same school as her sister without looking at other options. She has hated every day of it and is counting the days to move on when she goes in to sixform.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now