Bucks distance calculator

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ducky

Bucks distance calculator

Post by Ducky »

What distance calculator does Bucks use these days when places are allocated. Back when we were considering options for DD1 it used to be transport direct but looks like that site has gone to the wall now! The friend I'm asking for lives at an address that is on the very very edge based on previous allocation distance results so be good to help her get an accurate distance for her address.
Sally-Anne

Re: Bucks distance calculator

Post by Sally-Anne »

They use a system called Ordnance Survey Address Point, now called Address Base. It is only available commercially, so you can't access it as a member of the public.

There are some reasonably accurate free tools around - this one for example: http://www.freemaptools.com/distance-be ... tcodes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alternatively, a 1:25000 OS map and a ruler works quite well! (The distance is now measured as a straight line, not as walking/driving distance.)

She could call the Admissions team to ask them to calculate the distance, but frankly it would be pretty pointless because no one knows what this coming year's allocation distance is going to be.

Which school is she hoping for? Some of the schools have expanded their Y7 intake for 2016 and that will increase the distances for them.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I think it's now straight line distance, apart from Beaconsfield High School, which I think still uses the route-based distance.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

BHS made an error in their Admissions Policy in the first year straight-line distance was used, omitting to change over. They fell into line with the rest of the schools the following year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Do think of the practicalities of travelling to the school every day for seven years. It's the time for that travel not how far it is that impacts the most.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Cheers Sally-Ann its SHF, her child has qualified and they've put their GS preference SHF as number 1 on the form. I think its a surprise pass (child goes to a Bucks primary) and hadn't quite thought the distance issue through before. Using your link I'm getting a crows fly distance of 14.781 miles.

Guest55 I don't disagree, shes in MK so lots of children trek all the way down to Aylesbury every day. Its not my child so don't think appropriate I get involved there, just suggested I look into the allocation distances for her.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

MK to the Floyd is fine as there are buses and a network of parents to help out; the school also runs many clubs at lunchtime. I was thinking of some of the posts on other threads involving High Wycombe.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

You are right Guest55 lots do it with buses and groups of parents all able to share the load, maybe it will change as the MK schools develop - who knows! And I'm shuddering thinking about the high wycombe traffic now you mention it!

I do hope her son gets in as to qualify with minimum additional support he must be a bright lad and probably right for a GS education. My reading of the historic allocation profiles is its tight but hes in with a good chance. What do you think?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some years Floyd has been 'all offered' ie everyone who qualified and applied got a place. It has taken additional pupils in Y7 in recent years so fingers crossed for him :)

No-one know how many local students qualified and put the Floyd above the alternatives.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Ducky wrote:And I'm shuddering thinking about the high wycombe traffic now you mention it!
Actually, Wycombe traffic looks a lot worse than it is. The main problems are when there is an issue with the M40 and then the whole town clogs up! Though the Masterplan seems to be designed to make things slower :evil: