Format for Bromley High 11+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumsdarling2

Format for Bromley High 11+

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Does anyone know the format for Bromley High 11+ entrance test? All the website says is that the tests cover non subject specific tests which measure verbal and quantitative reasoning. Does this mean maths, vr and nvr only with no English? Thanks.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Format for Bromley High 11+

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I have held off posting in the hope someone may be able to help. However as it remains unanswered I add what little I know. DD is in the junior school and won't be sitting the test. Juniors get an automatic pass through but can sit the test if they want to be considered equally with external candidates for a bursary or scholarship. As DD did well in the local grammar tests she won't be staying on. The letter inviting girls to sit for tests probably doesn't tell you more than you know:

"Examination consists of a set of CATs tests followed by a short additional mathematics test and an extended writing task (an essay.)"

I gather the maths is to identity the spread of abilities as too easy and it is hard to tell real capabilities so there is likely to be some maths that a good number will find challenging. Don't panic.

Don't forget the interview or the letter from the school. It very much isn't just about how they do in the test but how they would fit in and benefit from the school.

Good luck if this is your first choice. It is a lovely school, we just didn't feel it was academically robust enough for DD and we struggle with the fees too but probably wouldn't qualify on means test for anything. The new headmistress is good and I really like her but just wasn't enough of a reason for us to stay.
mumsdarling2

Re: Format for Bromley High 11+

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Thanks a ton pettswoodfiona. This is for a friend whose daughter didn't do well in the NW test. I will pass it on. Her daughter goes to a local state primary. Having prepared her for 11+ (with a tutor which hasn't worked out in terms of a place at NW), they want to see if she might be able to secure a place at Bromley High. No clue about the finance side of it. I am sure they have worked it out. Given that they are CATs tests, I am wondering if it would even be possible to prepare for them. The test is just a couple of months away. It is not my daughter who is writing the test but I almost feel a sense of panic coming on.