Admissions Consultation for Halifax GS Entry Sep 2017

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hebden

Admissions Consultation for Halifax GS Entry Sep 2017

Post by Hebden »

Hello all, the Crossley Heath and NHGS websites today give details of the consultation on changes to the admissions policy for entry Sept 2017 onwards. The new exam structure is proposed to be 50 minutes English, 30 minutes maths and 30 minutes VR, all age weighted. Hopefully someone more techie than me will be able to post a link to it on here! It also suggests NHGS will be increasing their admission quota to 180 a year also, in line with Crossley Heath.
Erin

Re: Admissions Consultation for Halifax Grammar Schools Sep

Post by Erin »

Hi Hebden

In the FAQ section it states that the English /comprehension test will assess writing too, I wonder if this implies the test will not be in a multiple choice format. Would welcome your thoughts.
Hebden

Post by Hebden »

Hi Erin, the Governor minutes on the CH website, in particular the 9th December 2014 minutes, mention that all continuous writing pieces will be marked under the proposed new policy. So the English paper can't be purely multiple choice. Having gone through this proposal 12 months ago, which would originally have affected my DC's exam this October, I can say that having responded to the consultation, I found the schools very open at responding to any queries raised, so the schools may be able to give more information on the English content for you. Good luck x
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Thanks for that Hebden. Links are below

The North Halifax Grammar School
The Crossley Heath School

The previous discussion can be found here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 24&t=40661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MYI27

Re: Admissions Consultation for Halifax GS Entry Sep 2017

Post by MYI27 »

Hi, I think the most fundamental change is the oversubscription criteria. CHGS will provide places to LAC, children with pupil premium and then to twins and sibling in same year group (as long as they are in the top 500) before looking at the rest who are ranked higher. NHGS goes further and states they will then consider siblings of existing children before it then goes to the ranking order. This therefore means that if twins were to rank at number 499 and 500 they would get a place before a child ranking 1st. The siblings issue will also have a huge impact as children with a sibling at NHGS ranking nearer 500 will get in before children in the top 300.
winter sea

Post by winter sea »

Seriously??? . There's no catchment and the schools award places only on merit .. but then they bump up a child's score by virtue of having a brother or sister in the school already? Prejudiced against only children, first borns and kids with siblings in other schools ?.... How bizarre! Given how many kids go for the test with siblings already in the schools it's a wonder anyone without a brother or sister in the school will actually get a place! Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick? (Please tell me I have!)
As for LAN and pupil premium children - that's fair enough in my book and a good idea.
I'm also for the change to English instead of VR as the test was always skewed towards maths in my view (in that there were a lot of coded logic type questions in the VR paper).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If the schools award places only on score, then my understanding is that siblings cannot be given preference? So partially selective schools can, but fully selective schools can't. Or perhaps I am completely wrong about that, if this school is just doing it :roll: . In the case of the twins, though, surely it means that if one twin qualifies on score, then the other twin would get a place, even if they ranked 500, because the one tying qualifying would make the other eligible for a sibling place? (Rather than the school fishing both out from the end of the list and awarding them a place, when neither would have been reached in score order?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MYI27

Post by MYI27 »

Hi Winter sea, you haven't got the wrong end of the stick, this will have huge implications.

If the schools award places only on score, then my understanding is that siblings cannot be given preference? So partially selective schools can, but fully selective schools can't. Or perhaps I am completely wrong about that, if this school is just doing it. - I agree that I think this goes against section 1.9 j of the Schools Admissions Code 2014 which states :- It is for admission authorities to formulate their admission arrangements but they must not in designated grammar schools that rank all children according to a pre-determined pass mark and then allocate places to those who score highest, give priority to siblings of current or former pupils.

In the case of the twins, though, surely it means that if one twin qualifies on score, then the other twin would get a place, even if they ranked 500, because the one tying qualifying would make the other eligible for a sibling place? (Rather than the school fishing both out from the end of the list and awarding them a place, when neither would have been reached in score order?). The policy means that twins who are in the top 500 would take priority over other children unless they have a pupil premium or a LAC.

It is actually not only twins but multiple births or two more siblings within the same schools year. It is not clear if this includes step siblings. The potential for abusing this policy is in my view high as it is too vague.

I am concerned about the timing of the consultation as the deadline is the 3rd January and a lot of people will be busy with Christmas. I also don't think most people will realise that both school have different policies for the first time. However, whichever school you are considering the NHGS policy will have a knock on affect.

I have never posted on this forum before and my child is not taking the 11 plus next year but this does impact upon any parent whose child will do the test in future years. Therefore, if you are concerned then please respond during the consultation period to both schools ( details are on the schools' websites) by the 3rd January 2016. If this is implemented you will struggle in future years to oppose it.
winter sea

Post by winter sea »

Thanks for the information MYI27.

I have sent off my comments to NHGS (strike while the iron is hot..)
winter sea

Post by winter sea »

..and by the way that's spot on about the School Admissions Code - you did well to find that. I wonder how that will be rationalised?... I wonder why it's even being proposed? I can only think it's to assist with the family logistics of their current pupils. which seems a tad nepotistic..?