PHYSICS GCSE - HELP!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tulip

PHYSICS GCSE - HELP!

Post by Tulip »

Hi,
My dd is struggling with Physics at the moment and so I was wondering whether there are any good websites for her to use, in order to improve. She is currently in Year10 and is at the Tiffin Girls' School.
Thanks
RedVelvet

Re: PHYSICS GCSE - HELP!

Post by RedVelvet »

Has she spoken to her teacher? My son who is also Yr 10 was struggling with German, school have arranged for a sixth former to come and help him during form time. Hopefully this will work well for him.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Good idea to go to the teacher first and then to HOY, if needed.

Also you may like BBC bitesize and Khan Academy.
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Khan Academy is American and not well-suited to our curriculum or exam style.

I would go to the exam board website and download the specification. If you post which board I will look for suitable websites.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

TGS follows AQA for physics.

http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... Final.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bitesize is a good place to start.

Students have found these useful:

http://www.docbrown.info/page20/AQAscience2P.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you google 'AQA GCSE Physics revision notes' then some school websites come up e.g. http://www.madeleyhigh.org/science-year-10-resources" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [not looked at in detail]

Do the school have a VLE with resources? I'm always happy when a student asks for extra support and I'm sure this school will also want to help :)
copella

Post by copella »

Try mygcsescience as well. It used to be free when my eldest sat his GCSEs but I think you now have to pay. And yes speak to the teachers they may be able to suggest strategies and offer help.
J50

Post by J50 »

Tulip wrote:Hi,
My dd is struggling with Physics at the moment and so I was wondering whether there are any good websites for her to use, in order to improve. She is currently in Year10 and is at the Tiffin Girls' School.
Thanks

Isn't that what teachers are for???

Anyway, how can someone who got into Tiffin struggle?

QED - the old style Tiffin exams could bypass selecting ability in some cases...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

J50 wrote:
Tulip wrote:Hi,
Thanks

Isn't that what teachers are for???

Anyway, how can someone who got into Tiffin struggle?

QED - the old style Tiffin exams could bypass selecting ability in some cases...
Unnecessary and rude J50. How can you possibly know the circumstances?
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Qualifying for a GS doesn't mean you are an all-rounder and will cope with every subject. Everyone has some real strengths and some (relatively) weaker subjects.

I agree that the teacher is the best place to start when there is a problem with understanding topics.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now