KS2 Optional Sat Results and 11+

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum of twins

KS2 Optional Sat Results and 11+

Post by mum of twins »

Hope someone can help with a bit of advice have just had optional sat results for my twins girl got 4c writing and 3a maths boy got 3b maths and 2c in writing. The teacher has mentioned that my daughter is on line to do her 11+ but not to think about it for my son. He has gone backwards in his writing last year was 3c - he is having a bad time of it for some reason anyway my question is as they are both in year 4 does that mean my son is likely to fail his 11+ if i try and put him in for it or should i get a tutor in to get his grades up. i have been told through school playground that all i need to worry about is the maths side of things to get a pass for the 11+ can anyone put me in the right direction or give me advice on how the teacher knows a child is capable or not of doing the 11+. thanks
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hello there

Firstly I think it would be a good idea for you to post on the Kent section too as the people on there will know what your areas 11+ will involve.

As for your childrens SATS results. If I were you I would want to know why your son has fallen behind and what is the school doing about it. Do the school offer extra writing practise? Even if your child is not suited to Grammar school he should still get the help he needs. You mentioned he is having a bad time, have you identified why?

I think you need to put the '11+' to the side for a moment and think about what passing it will mean for your twins. It will mean that they possibly go to GS along with children who are very able and some very gifted too. The work is harder and usually more intense. The homework is alot and the child needs to be organised and mature pretty quickly. Now I say this because I believe that alot of people now days are assuming that they should put thier child in for the test without firstly deciding whether the child is suited to GS. Most people do tutor their children for the test in some way be it at home or professionally and I do believe like most that even with all the tutoring in the world there is no guarantee.

When my son did his two years ago I was quite nieve I didn't know anything about it so only considered when he went into year five by which time I could see where he was ability wise. He had been in top sets for Maths English and Science and was always on par with where he should be SATS wise or ahead. His reports were always positive and he did enjoy school and did always put effort in. It was from that that we felt that he would be suited to GS. I tutored him and he did pass.

I have a daugter now who is in year 5 and I am at the moment tutoring her. Again I am basing her suitability to GS on where she is at the moment in general.

Your daughter does sound like she is doing well and maybe your son just needs some help. I don't know about tutoring for subjects in general as personally I would worry that I may then haveto keep it up in secondary school. As for the test I believe without tutoring a child doesn't really stand much chance of passing.

Do post on the other sections as I am sure people with far more experience then me may be more helpful.

Melx
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Agree with Melx.
I think the key is to firstly find out the reason behind your son 'having a bad time of it'. Once this is resolved, his enthusiasm and focus in school may revive.
My DS2 was being bullied and consequently hated going to school. I knew he was unhappy, but he didn't say anything until I asked what was up :roll:, Once this was resolved all was fine again.

After that pursue Melx's advise; Wise words :)
mum of twins

Post by mum of twins »

my son is having a bad time as his father keeps saying he is going to come and see him and then does not turn up so it has really set him back as he had 3a,s all the way through last year.
However have taken advise on board and would love to hear from anyone elses point of view on whether to pursue the 11+ with him as i am not really happy with the main secondary schools we have around our area many thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now