Complete beginner - help please with Calderdale exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fluff05

Complete beginner - help please with Calderdale exam

Post by Fluff05 »

I'm going to be moving to Halifax next year with my 2 children. DD is currently in year 5 (so going up to secondary in Sept' 2017). I'd like her to sit the Calderdale entrance exam and hopefully get a place at CHS or NHGS. I know very little about it though. I'm not sure where to begin, which books to use, how to even go about doing this! Realistically do I need a tutor or can I prep her myself? She's a clever girl and very enthusiastic and hardworking at school.
mitasol

Re: Complete beginner - help please with Calderdale exam

Post by mitasol »

Welcome Fluff,

It looks like there may be some changes to the entrance exams. At the moment they are consulting on the admissions arrangements for September so you may like to have a look at this thread http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 24&t=45234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. So keeping in mind any changes or additional details that may arise from the consultation.

I do not think it is necessary to get a tutor. You will be looking to improve and consolidate KS2 skills in Maths and English. These skills will also serve you for verbal reasoning.

For maths -
  • Make sure that you have covered the KS2 syllabus by October 2016. A revision guide may be useful.
  • Speedy recall of times tables is going to be invaluable.
For English -
You are looking for really strong vocabulary skills. Reading is the good way to improve - shared reading and don't forget to read to her. Audio books could be useful too.
In addition you may be looking at general English skills, for instance; comprehension, writing, antonyms, synonyms and possibly a cloze test.

There are plenty of free papers to gauge how you are doing. KS2 papers. http://www.emaths.co.uk/index.php/stude ... ast-papers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You can also look at Indie school admissions papers.
She's a clever girl and very enthusiastic and hardworking at school.
These skills will serve her well wherever she goes but it is important to appreciate that not every clever child is going to qualify. Try and make sure that your child understands that this is just one of the school options available to her.

Good luck - ask if you have more questions.
Fluff05

Re: Complete beginner - help please with Calderdale exam

Post by Fluff05 »

Thanks mitasol, that's very useful. I'm not sure really what the changes mean as I don't know very much about the previous system. It's a steep learning curve for me!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now