Why are so many TGS girls choosing to leave this year?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
YoungSuccess

Why are so many TGS girls choosing to leave this year?

Post by YoungSuccess »

I heard from parents that quite a number of girls are very unhappy and are choosing not to stay for their A levels at TGS. Some are even choosing to move to "lesser" known schools, just to get away from TGS. The one that I know and spoke personally to is certainly unhappy and was adamant that she will not be going back to TGS. It was obvious from her reasons that they were really unhappy there.

Anyone could enlighten me of this? Apology if this is a bit of sensitive thing to be discussing here. I am not a TGS parent, but hoping to be. If you feel strongly that this shouldn't be discussed here, then I am happy to delete this post. I am just quite saddened and curious.

Thanks.
Stroller

Re: Why are so many TGS girls choosing to leave this year?

Post by Stroller »

I honestly haven't heard any such stories, but DD is only in year 7. I don't find it at all surprising that some kids - at any school - have had enough after five years and would like a change. That was the case even at primary school. I'm sorry to hear that some are unhappy though. What do you mean by "quite a number"?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
hina

Post by hina »

hello,
my friend's daughter finished her A'levels at TGS, and she did have allot to say about it.

1: physics teacher left twice
2: supply teachers
3: put additional pressure on girls, without appropriate teachers.

one of the girl will finish her g.c.s.e in the summer and plan to to go elsewhere.
J50

Post by J50 »

YoungSuccess wrote:The one that I know and spoke personally to is certainly unhappy and was adamant that she will not be going back to TGS. It was obvious from her reasons that they were really unhappy there.

Perhaps YOU can enlighten us as to why????? What were
YoungSuccess wrote: her reasons...
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I should start by saying I know nothing about this individual school so I can't comment on it, but about half the girls at DD's girls grammar seemed adamant they would move school for A levels at at around this time of year in Year 11. When the time came, however, only a few jumped ship and they generally moved for reasons of subject choice, travel distance or similar. I hope you find the rumours aren't substantiated.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Warks mum wrote:I should start by saying I know nothing about this individual school so I can't comment on it, but about half the girls at DD's girls grammar seemed adamant they would move school for A levels at at around this time of year in Year 11. When the time came, however, only a few jumped ship and they generally moved for reasons of subject choice, travel distance or similar. I hope you find the rumours aren't substantiated.
Same here - in both DD's and DS's year plenty said they would leave and most didn't (not this school, obviously).
scary mum
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Look for previous posts from Tiffingirl. However, the head teacher has since left, staff turnover has slightly reduced. Hope that the new HT would not focus on making the 6th form into an exam factory.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

I do not have the permission to share what was discussed in private I am afraid. I am just seeking other parents input.
J50 wrote:
YoungSuccess wrote:The one that I know and spoke personally to is certainly unhappy and was adamant that she will not be going back to TGS. It was obvious from her reasons that they were really unhappy there.
Perhaps YOU can enlighten us as to why????? What were
YoungSuccess wrote: her reasons...
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Yes I've heard too that quite a few girls have left this year. But so to be fair have quite a few Tiffin boys. The sixth form at both schools is very much still part of school, rather than a separate centre. Not everyone likes that prospect and some do choose to take their A levels in a different kind of environment - there is a very popular and successful sixth form college in Esher for example. Also the girls' school in particular has quite an intensive atmosphere, with extremely high expectations for exam results, which can feel pressurised. The boys' school definitely has a more relaxed feel in my experience, and I personally am hoping that when the new head, who used to work at the boys' school, starts in January he will bring some of that ethos with him!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I heard too about one girl who left this year after gcse; but the reason was that school was not committed to allow her to do 4 A2 subjects. Girls take 4 AS subjects and then school expect them to drop one subject and do 3 A2 subjects only. This one wanted to do 4 A2s; due to lack of commitment on the part of school, she left and joined an indy.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now