Year 4 Sats 2A

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jeanb

Year 4 Sats 2A

Post by jeanb »

Should I look into the fact that my daughters english level was 2A on leaving infant school and her target grade for end of year 4 year is 2A.Apparently the children know their own target grades!Her year 3 level was 2A as well.
She is reading above her age and likes to read her own books but says the school reading scheme books are boring,I agree with that.
She was placed in the top set of 4 for literacy but after talking to the school we moved her to the second set just in case anxiety in literacy was the cause of bed wetting throughout year 3! She is an Ok speller but performs
badly in the beginning of term tests.she spells easy words wrong most of the time. Her verbal skills are excellent and she uses unusally long words for an 8 year old(in the correct context).Her weekend homework is to put her spelling into sentences,this she hates and it always ends in tears even though she more than able and verbaly produces
excellent ideas,these sentences are quickly shortened and adapted so that she doesnt have to write much.At infant school she was called a reluctant writer.Should I be concerned?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Our school breaks down the literacy into three different areas for levels: speaking and listening, writing and reading. From experience I have learned that a child can have a very different level of writing to reading for instance. Is it just one area of her literacy that has not improved/moved on or does your school just give a general level for literacy?
Another thing - handwriting. What is it like? Does she struggle? My son struggled with literacy (writing side really) during the infants and when he went into year 3 a very good teacher noticed that he did not look comfortable when holding a pencil, and put him in for extra handwriting lessons. By the end of the year his handwriting was unrecognisable! And just like the teacher predicted, his writing skills improved - his reluctance came from the hard work and uncomfort of using his pencil.
jeanb

Post by jeanb »

Hi
At infants it was broken down and she got 3 for speaking and listening and
reading and 2a for writing,it doesnt seem to be broken down at juniors just an overall level.She does say her arm hurts when she writes even a couple of sentences,she is left handed as well but does many other things right handed so seems to not be totally left handed.She knows all the rules for joined writing but doesnt join unless I tell her to,she does seem to find the whole writing task difficult,I dread literacy homework.There are also other things niggling like she cant ride/steer her bike is very clumsy and has a dyslexic sister.Senco did say she would put her forward for an ' in school review' but that never happened.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

She could have dyspraxia - do chase the SENCo - the earlier it is diagnosed the better she can be supported.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

go and see the senco again, she should have made progress over 2 years.
A child at 2a in year 4 would be flagged up as struggling, especially with her record of being in top set

The difficulty with riding a bike plus teh writing reluctance may suggest motor skill diificulties as guest 55 said.

I'm not sure what it is like in your region, but when I was a senco in east kent I advised parents to see their GP for a referral as GP requests went through much quicker than school referrals did.
jeanb

Post by jeanb »

thanks for you replies,just read up a bit on Dyspraxia and does seem to have tendencies but also has dyslexic tendencies so will try to see the SEnco again.
One particular incident that I was witness to in the playground was she was told she couldn't join in the Hand clapping Rythym games that girls like to play
because she did it wrong!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

dyslxia and dyspraxia are very closely linked.

DEfinitely go to see the Senco..
jeanb

Post by jeanb »

The things I noticed on the Dyspraxia signs list that apply to my daughter are,immature drawing,cant do laces,hates running around games,stays in to finish work at playtime and changing from one class or year to the next can take a whole term for her to settle in and produce work!She is quite emotional and also is terribly distressed at the cinema,she even cried at Disney Cars! But she is also extremely loving and hugs everyone,especially adults.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

jeanb wrote:The things I noticed on the Dyspraxia signs list that apply to my daughter are,immature drawing,cant do laces,hates running around games,stays in to finish work at playtime and changing from one class or year to the next can take a whole term for her to settle in and produce work!She is quite emotional and also is terribly distressed at the cinema,she even cried at Disney Cars! But she is also extremely loving and hugs everyone,especially adults.
Oh wow! I'm dyspraxic - (or was as a child)
Capers
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

ask them to look at dysgraphia also.

does she take things literally/ avoid eye contact? have a flat voice?