Anyone at Colch County High Understand Yr 9 Reports?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bravado

Anyone at Colch County High Understand Yr 9 Reports?

Post by bravado »

I've got to admit defeat - I used to understand the reports and what everything meant in terms of achievement, goals and areas for improvement :? Is anyone else struggling, like we are? I've contacted the form tutor but don't expect an answer until the New Year. As DH and I have different ways of working, the combination of two minds coming together should have been enough to decipher the guides the school provided, as this usually works.

So, my fellow CoCHSG chums (said in an an Antoine de Caunes-style) - who has the key to restoring our sanity? :D
Minesatea

Re: Anyone at Colch County High Understand Yr 9 Reports?

Post by Minesatea »

Year 11 not 9 but willing to try. Do you mean the progress check?
bravado

Post by bravado »

Many thanks and yes, it's the Progress Check
The School Target column- is that for the end of YR 9, or for what she should be getting now? For example in Maths her "Working At" and "School Target" are the same number ie 9
?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

We have three columns: attitude to learning, KS4 target grade, KS4 working at grade.
For DD's her target grade is her GCSE or AS target for this summer, the working grade is now. As she is the last year of the old gcses, her grades are A* A B etc. rather than numbers.
Looking back at DDs in year 9, some grades were gcse target whereas others (for subjects she hadnt yet started the gcse syllabus) were national curriculum target levels for the end of the year. Since NC levels dont exist now, not sure what you have.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Hi bravado, I think, I am only guessing here, if I am not wrong is that your DD is working at 9 the new GCSE grade which is in old GCSE an A*. The school target is also 9 because it the highest target that you could get in KS4 for Maths. I heard that some schools start the new GCSE Maths and English courses in Yr9 so it could be the situation here.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
seahorse

Post by seahorse »

Hi

Yr 9 mum here. We were totally confused by the progress check. To add to this, my daughter sought clarification from her RE teacher who contradicted the report (or our interpretation of it!). One of the columns in this subject implied predicted GCSEs grade but the teacher said it was a 'working at' level. I am afraid I can't shed any light but I too have emailed the school seeking clarification. I thought the progress report was unnecessarily impersonal and confusing.
bravado

Post by bravado »

So...it was Parents' Evening last night and is anyone the wiser?

We learned that the School Target column for some teachers, means the end of Yr 9 and for others, it's what they'll be expected to achieve at GCSE. There even appeared to be a different answer according to which teacher you spoke to in the same discipline. They seemed to be be surprised that we had received such a variety of answers and approaches to this column.

So the answer appears to be, if you want to gauge the targets, you'll need to find out what criteria each individual teacher has applied ie end of YR 9 or GCSE
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now