Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Three2go

Maths Question

Post by Three2go »

In s&s maths progress paper
Work out the number of years between these BCE and CE dates
63BCE to CE 19
My dd answer was 82 but the answer is 81.
Can someone please explain .
Thanks
Guest55

Re: Maths Question

Post by Guest55 »

There is no year zero.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Pardon my ignorance but what are BCE and CE dates?

Is it another name for BC/AD or something different?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

"Before Common Era" and "Common Era" - the non-Christian alternative to BC and AD. A bit politically correct, IMHO, and highly unlikely to make any sense to a single 10 year old in England!
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

When did this PC madness come into practice? I have to admit its the first time I've heard of it.

I'm assuming BCE and CE dates are still based around the same supposed birth year of Jesus 2016 years ago? Are we just supposed to pretend that they aren't by using different acronyms?! Never mind that the new ones are too similar to each other to be easily distinguished and therefore more prone to mistakes! :?

While we're at it then, shouldn't we also look at changing the names of the days of the week, the months and the planets? Surely some people may feel offended by continually having Nordic and Roman religion rammed down their throats by using names derived from their gods? Thursday (Thor), January (Janus), Jupiter etc? :roll:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Indeed. There is an article from the Telegraph on the matter back in 2010. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... r-BCE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's a "free page trial site" now, so if you can't see the link, I've quoted the first few paragraphs, which I think cover the point pretty succinctly!
While they may not be the language of everyday life, the new terms BCE, Before Common Era and CE , Common Era (first invented in the sixth century AD) are now the rule in order to express politically correct sensitivity to non-Christians.

Earlier this year, the first print run of a four-volume Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization was pulped by its American academic publishers following an outcry that it was biased in favour of Christianity, evidenced by its use of BC and AD instead of BCE and CE.

But, whether it’s BC or BCE, both systems take the Gregorian calendar as their starting point .
As the Telegraph’s Christopher Booker noted: “The trouble with this politically-correct effort to spare offence to Muslims, Jews, atheists or other non-Christians from the use of a d.ating system tied to Jesus, is that it prompts any child to ask ‘So what is this Common Era based on?’, and brings up the very point it seeks to avoid.”
KenR

Post by KenR »

Sally-Anne wrote:"Before Common Era" and "Common Era" - the non-Christian alternative to BC and AD. A bit politically correct, IMHO, and highly unlikely to make any sense to a single 10 year old in England!
Ah makes sense now - I thought for a moment that hexadecimal numbers had been introduced in the KS1 curriculum!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

KenR wrote:
Sally-Anne wrote:"Before Common Era" and "Common Era" - the non-Christian alternative to BC and AD. A bit politically correct, IMHO, and highly unlikely to make any sense to a single 10 year old in England!
Ah makes sense now - I thought for a moment that hexadecimal numbers had been introduced in the KS1 curriculum!
That's in year 3 now I believe.. :wink:

ssh don;t talk too loudly or else someone in DFE will suggest it
:roll:
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I only came across these terms last week when DD doing history homework. Personally think it's very silly - and I am an atheist.
Still getting over them being taught at primary that AM is "after midnight" and PM "past midday " though.
Obviously doesn't take a lot to throw me!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

booellesmum wrote:I only came across these terms last week when DD doing history homework. Personally think it's very silly - and I am an atheist.
Still getting over them being taught at primary that AM is "after midnight" and PM "past midday " though.
Obviously doesn't take a lot to throw me!
If it's meant to be 'inclusive of non-Christians, surely the 'CE' should at the very earliest hang on until six hundred and whenever to include Muslims, or sometime in the 20th century(?) for Rastafarians, etc. I don't think they really mean us atheists, somehow, but like you, I'm not that bothered that 'year 1 CE' is the same as 'year 1 AD'. Ideally, I suppose, one would date the 'common era' from the appearance of the first hominids, but that really would be a little daft :lol:

Just asked DS1, who left school last summer, what he was taught about 'am' and 'pm' at junior school, but he says he can't remember the topic being mentioned. Not sure whether this is a case for :shock: , or rejoicing that at least they weren't taught 'after midnight' and 'past midday'...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now