Shrinking violets closeted away in girls' schools

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Shrinking violets closeted away in girls' schools

Post by Amber »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35225738" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not sure what planet this person is on if his objection is based on girls not being able to talk to boys. In my experience, which is becoming considerable, girls at single sex schools must spend almost all of their spare time (and much of their lesson time) sending social media messages, often pretty explicit, to boys. :shock:
scary mum

Re: Shrinking violets closeted away in girls' schools

Post by scary mum »

:lol: :lol: As soon as I saw the title of the post I somehow knew it was you :)

I agree, though. Few teenagers are closeted away from each other these days :roll:
scary mum
shakey

Post by shakey »

Amber wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35225738

I am not sure what planet this person is on if his objection is based on girls not being able to talk to boys. In my experience, which is becoming considerable, girls at single sex schools must spend almost all of their spare time (and much of their lesson time) sending social media messages, often pretty explicit, to boys. :shock:
Shame I was born 30 years too early. School could have been a lot more fun in the 80s for us poor lads.....
Amber

Post by Amber »

shakey wrote:Shame I was born 30 years too early. School could have been a lot more fun in the 80s for us poor lads.....
Actually some boys find the intensity, tenacity and graphic nature of some of these young ladies' communications somewhat intimidating. As do their mothers. :?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Being bombarded with unwanted messages is stalking by social media and is horrible. It is a dream come true for bullies who don't even have to say their nastiness face to face anymore. DG
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

shakey wrote:Shame I was born 30 years too early. School could have been a lot more fun in the 80s for us poor lads.....
I was thinking the same thing Shakey! :mrgreen:

On a serious note I do agree with this bit of the article:
"Boys in single-sex school tend to create their own artificial hierarchies where only those in the first-15 rugby team are truly valued, while girls-only schools sometimes suffer a degree of emotional intensity that can lead to bullying.

"Contrast that with a co-educational world where girls admire the boys who dance, sing or act, and so, therefore, do the boys. Contrast that too with a mixed environment where the emotional intensity of all girls is diluted by the boys.

"In other words, there is a place for everyone and an environment where girls and boys can be themselves."
Speaking from personal experience my maturity and social skills at age 18, particularly with girls, was quite limited, and I put that down primarily to having attended an all boys secondary school. Personally I think its unnatural and unhealthy to segregate people on the basis of sex, race, religion or anything else particularly during the most important years of someones emotional and social development.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Proud_Dad wrote:Personally I think its unnatural and unhealthy to segregate people on the basis of sex, race, religion or anything else particularly during the most important years of someones emotional and social development.
My bold - as an aside, would that include 'intelligence', or rather, ability to pass an exam at 11?

DG - agree. But constant streams of superficially flattering messages wouldn't count as bullying would they? It is a very fine line and some of the stuff is eye-watering from very young girls. I get a bit sick of the constant media messages portraying boys as sex mad and girls as wide-eyed innocents being exploited by them. It isn't always that way round, and boys don't always have the emotional maturity to deal with predatory messages from very sophisticated pouty girls who are very good at appearing as if butter wouldn't melt when an adult appears on the scene. I would very much like to see some media attention directed at this frankly, and may end up writing it myself if someone else doesn't!
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Amber wrote: My bold - as an aside, would that include 'intelligence', or rather, ability to pass an exam at 11?
IMO yes it would, and also related factors like class and wealth. I agree with you on that.

That's a different topic though already discussed at length in other threads on here. Using 11+ to segregate on "intelligence" could be argued to be bad for society as a whole and for those who don't pass. I don't think it does any harm to those who do pass though and probably benefits them.

Segregating by sex though I think is damaging to individuals because it hinders social development and the ability to form normal relationships (including simple friendships and working relationships, not just romantic) with members of the opposite sex.

Also agree that girls can be just as bad (or worse) as boys when it comes to predatory behaviour etc. I suppose the reason its not given as much attention is that boy victims will likely just feel embarrassed and awkward about it while girl victims are more likely to feel actually physically threatened and unsafe. Still doesn't make it OK for girls to behave like that though.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Proud_Dad wrote:Segregating by sex though I think is damaging to individuals because it hinders social development and the ability to form normal relationships (including simple friendships and working relationships, not just romantic) with members of the opposite sex.
I don't think I agree with this ProudDad. I went to an all girls school and my sons are at an all boys school and we've all had/have a pretty good social life and a relaxed social relationship with the opposite sex. My DH on the other hand went to a mixed school and is the one who finds mixed company the hardest. Again it's very much horses for courses and what is the best "fit" for your child.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:
Proud_Dad wrote:Segregating by sex though I think is damaging to individuals because it hinders social development and the ability to form normal relationships (including simple friendships and working relationships, not just romantic) with members of the opposite sex.
I don't think I agree with this ProudDad. I went to an all girls school and my sons are at an all boys school and we've all had/have a pretty good social life and a relaxed social relationship with the opposite sex. My DH on the other hand went to a mixed school and is the one who finds mixed company the hardest. Again it's very much horses for courses and what is the best "fit" for your child.

Couldn't agree more doodles. Proud Dad, this is quite a generalisation!!! Really not at all possible to say, it totally depends on character, make up of family, exposure to the opposite sex (if you'll excuse the expression!!) out of school etc etc.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now