Prep School or State with tutoring?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

starfish80

Prep School or State with tutoring?

Post by starfish80 »

Hi everyone

Very early days here. Have a son who will be due to start school and we're trying to get our heads around the best option for him. We live in Urmston, so it would be local prep vs our catchment primary (Rated 'good'). Have heard only a couple per year get into UGS from the school, but apparently a lot to do with mixed demographic and many kids won't be put in for it/tutored. Know a few neighbours' children who go there and they can't rate the school highly enough.

Long time away but comprehensive is Wellacre (boys only, Ofsted 3 - Requires improvement) so a bit of a worry compared to much better comprehensives Sale/Altrincham way.

We can 'afford' prep school but the financial commitment is of course large and other sacrifices would inevitably have to be made. Husband and I feel we could alternatively support our son with tutoring and additional home support to get through the exams. Given there are 150 places at UGS (and the majority will be in catchment), surely most kids must be coming through state + tutoring approach anyway.

What are peoples' views on the whole Prep/State choice? Is it worth that big additional cost that can't be achieved through specific tutoring? I also accept prep schools in the area will be intensively cramming exams for a couple of years in the run up, but at the same time, surely their high pass rates are linked to aspirational/affluent parents in the first place with children attending more likely to be at the upper end of the ability set.

Would be really interested to hear any positive or negative reviews of your experiences.

Thanks!
Last edited by starfish80 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catseye

Re: Prep School or State with tutoring?

Post by Catseye »

Hi starfish and welcome.

I have pm-ed you-Click on the "new messages" icon

PS avoid personal names it's not for your benefit but your child's right to anonymity.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"...but at the same time, surely their high pass rates are linked to aspirational/affluent parents in the first place with children attending more likely to be at the upper end of the ability set..."

Affluent parents do not necessarily have children at the upper end of the ability set... :shock:

People choose private schools for a variety of reasons - sometimes it is more to do with the pastoral side (smaller class sizes etc) or the extra curricular activities than the ability level/academic achievement. Always ask yourself "what value added am I getting"? You may be surprised when you compare the value added at a state primary to a private indie as to how much further the students have travelled from their starting point.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Affluent parents do not necessarily have children at the upper end of the ability set...
Okay KCG, this is OP's first post, let's be gentle-life is an ongoing education we all have to start from somewhere.
starfish80

Post by starfish80 »

Oh dear! I'm not doing too well am I.

Have removed my name and anonymised my initial post a bit more. Yes, you are right affluent parents don't necessarily have brighter kids - daft thing to say!
Last edited by starfish80 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Welcome to the forum!

I sent my kids to preps, neither of which were geared towards the state 11 plus - mainly for geographical reasons.

They tended to aim more at indie exams (maths / english etc) and TBH I think this probably helped the kids more in the work at senior school than any prep for the 11 plus (which locally was NVR and VR).
starfish80

Post by starfish80 »

That's interesting. I think the preps will be very driven for the grammars here rather than indies as they are more in demand I think.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

starfish80 wrote: I think the preps will be very driven for the grammars here rather than indies as they are more in demand I think.
You are right, but prep schools in Alty prep for both, it's what the market demands.

HM is only speaking from her own experience,for your aspirations follow my advice I am happy to help you but by PM only please.

No one in Trafford appreciates my home truths, so I refuse to assist them anymore!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Catseye wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Affluent parents do not necessarily have children at the upper end of the ability set...
Okay KCG, this is OP's first post, let's be gentle-life is an ongoing education we all have to start from somewhere.

Catseye, I was being gentle - you can see that from my follow up sentence. And, as to your "but by PM only please. No one in Trafford appreciates my home truths, so I refuse to assist them anymore!"....well, it's a forum - people aren't always going to agree with your opinion - doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong though! Open debate brings out more opinions, which is surely what the OP needs at the moment - not just your point of view, whatever it is....
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I agree KCG - far better to have an open discussion on the forum and then Starfish can see a wide range of opinions
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now