G&T Register question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
proud mum x2

G&T Register question

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi, I'm hoping that someone may know the answer to my question, possibly Orson? D D has been on the G&T register for maths and P.E at Primary school since Y4 and is now in Y6. She will be transferring to Pates in Sept. and I wondered how, or if, this register is operated in GS.

Do they redo the list as the children already identified will probably not be the top 5 or 10% when the children all mix at the start of Y7?

I was thinking of ringing the school, but it seems a bit "fussy" and somewhat premature! especially as the place hasn't yet been offered! :wink:
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

Hi proud mum,
not sure if they re do g and t at Pates,but it certainly operates.My son is on for p.e having been selected by the school in year 7.Not sure about maths,like you say it's a whole different ball game.The children were put forward fairly early in year 7 and did several days,plus a weekend session.(should have been a whole week but July floods put pay to that!).Hope this helps.
capers123

Re: G&T Register question

Post by capers123 »

You're luck - our school seems very reluctant to run a G&T register!
proud mum x2 wrote: Do they redo the list as the children already identified will probably not be the top 5 or 10% when the children all mix at the start of Y7?
I would have thought that it's top 5 or 10% of the population. I'm sure though that the school does identify who is outstanding compared with the rest of their year, as they'll need extension work (yep, even in a Grammar).
Capers
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi,

In my daughter's school in Wirral they had CAT tests when they started year 7. Then, according to the results of these tests, the highest scorers were invited to join the NRGTY (National Register for Gifted and Talented Youth). Don't think they took any notice of primary school g & t register. As you say the top 5% in primary school may not be the top 5% in Grammar. Not sure if this is the same all over the country though, just thought I'd let you know how it was done in my daughters school :)

Scatshouse
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Thantkyou all for your helpful advice, guess I'll just wait and see. I don't think it's a really big deal, just wondered if any one knew anything. I'm sure that being in a ggrammar will be enough of a challenge for her,without special "extension" work etc!! She is going to have a big wake up call as she has been coastiing for so long, bue she'll probably step up to the mark,as the rest of them will!
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

Just remembered my DD being v impressed that someone in year 7 is doing GCSE work, so they do obviously stretch the v talented.Must say having looked through her maths books,there seems to be a massive leap from year 6 work,certainly sufficient to keep DD challenged.

By the way,I think you mentioned you live in Worcs.is your daughter at a Worcs primary? Do they not operate middle and high school system in Worcs?

Sorry, I know it's off topic,just being curious.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi , we do live in Worcs, only just though, my daughter was at a worcs primary, (there are some areas in Worcs,like evesham, that operate a three teir system) but I moved her into a school where I was working in Tewkesbury, she's done well there, although now seems to be just biding her time,and resting on her laurals!!
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

Thanks for satisfying my curiousity!
You are probably alot closer than many Glos people(but that's a whole new topic!)
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi, yes we are one mile from the border,causes all sorts of probs, because our postal address is Glos!!! doctors surgery in Tewks, social services, YOU GUESSED IT.....worcs!
Chelt45

Post by Chelt45 »

We have a son who is at Pates and is pretty reasonable at Maths. My view is that they do work at a good pace at Pates and in general about a year ahead of thier peers.

However there is not really much extension work or emphasis on G&T. In fact the percentage of curriculum spent on Maths is very low compared to other schools. Maths homework generally takes less than 15 minutes or can be finished during classtime.

My concern is that children can pretty much coast to GCSE in year 11. Children do not take the exam early in year 10 (as with Tommies, Denmark Road, Cleeve), and the response is that it is too expensive. I think that many children would be capable of A* in year 9.

I think a good question to ask is whether Pates is producing as many students going on to read maths (particularly at Oxbridge) relative to the quality of thier intake.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now