11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MCLC

Maths questions

Post by MCLC »

Hi all,

Can someone help explain the following:

Mia is running steadily around the track. She does one lap every 60 seconds. Gareth is running steadily round the track in the opposite direction.

If they meet each other every 24 seconds, how long does it take Gareth to do a lap of the track?

And

Mr Sahota can harvest an acre of maize in half the time it takes him to harvest an acre of millet. To harvest 3 acres of each crop takes him a total of 6 days. How long would it take him in total to harvest 5 acres of maize and 2 acres of millet?

Thanks!
Guest55

Re: Maths questions

Post by Guest55 »

The answer to the first one is already on here! Look in the recent threads.

How far have you got on the second one? If 3 of each takes 6 days can you think how to find how many millet [or maize] that would be in that time?
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Thanks.

To be honest I got quite tied up with the second one and was trying to work out half days?!
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

MCLC wrote:Mr Sahota can harvest an acre of maize in half the time it takes him to harvest an acre of millet. To harvest 3 acres of each crop takes him a total of 6 days. How long would it take him in total to harvest 5 acres of maize and 2 acres of millet?
I think the key 'insight' they're looking for here is that if Mr Sahota can harvest an acre of maize in half the time it takes him to harvest an acre of millet, then of the total 6 days he spends harvesting, 1/3 of that time (i.e. 2 days) must be spent harvesting maize and 2/3 of that time (i.e. 4 days) must be spent harvesting millet.

Given that within that 6 days he harvested 3 acres of each crop, he harvests maize at a rate of 3 acres per 2 days (1.5 acres per day) and millet at 3 acres per 4 days (0.75 acres per day).

We then just need to multiply each 'acres per day' by the number of acres in the question.
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Thanks Goodheart. That really helps.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now