IB and Oxbridge application

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

IB and Oxbridge application

Post by Looking for help »

My son is doing 4 higher level subjects and 2 standard level. His school is advising him to drop one down now to standard level as that is the norm.
Does anybody know if Oxbridge will increase any offer if he does 4 HLs instead of 3? He is not currently struggling but I guess the workload will increase, he is only just finished his first semester. He doesn't really want to drop down in any of his subjects. Info re the IB and Oxbridge application seems quite sketchy.

Thanks
Guest55

Re: IB and Oxbridge application

Post by Guest55 »

"International Baccalaureate

Students of the International Baccalaureate are usually required to achieve a level of performance of 38–40 points, including core points, with 6s and 7s in the higher-level subjects."

from http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergra ... quirements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You probably need to ask - but give them a few weeks as they will be busy with post-offer work.
Looking for help

Thanks, Guest55, hope you are well?
Yes we have read that but we are not clear on whether an inflated points requirement is needed if you do more than expected/required. I know with A levels this can be an issue.
I never thought to just ask, :roll: , should have thought of that :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes thanks I'm fine :)

It tends to imply that the higher levels will be required to be 6 or 7 but not how many. I've had a quick look at TSR to see if there's anything on there - nothing found as yet.

I have seen offers involving all 4 A levels so you'd need to check whether this might happen with IB.
Looking for help

Thanks, I guess that's my concern, that an offer will be based on more HLs, difficult.
I'll keep looking ....
Amber

Post by Amber »

Hi LFH, hope all is good with you.

No experience of IB nor Oxford here, but...
We do have some experience of applying for university courses unrelated to A levels and for which the correct A levels have not been studied. I would strongly recommend that your son contacts an admissions tutor. We have found that doing this yields very positive responses, and we have also learned that there is no such thing as 'must have' *. I think tutors can be rather impressed by a young person who is able to ask articulate and informed questions around these issues themselves, and this might well work in your son's favour. An added bonus is that a young person who can do this will gain in confidence and insight into their own situation, which can only be a positive thing.
Good luck.

*I realise that this may be different for Oxbridge, where the DC here didn't want to go. And here the A levels were already in the bag, with high grades, which may also help. But I think there is a useful principle and at the very least your son will know where he stands.
Looking for help

Thank you, Amber, we are good, although expat existence is very strange.
I feel a little bit in the dark with the IB, and as you and guest55 have suggested,I think I will encourage him to contact the admissions tutor.
I hope you are well too!
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Only one of DD's friends is taking 4 HLs (glutton for punishment!). I'll ask what her Cambridge offer specified. DD has an Oxford offer which throws up a different dilemma - it is her lowest offer and she won't have an insurance. With A levels, STEM applicants can have offers based on 4 A levels if FM is specified or if the applicant is borderline. This tends to come from Cambridge (plus STEP results) as Oxford pre-test for most subjects and the interview process is longer. They tend to actually WANT their offer holders after all that palaver.
Looking for help

Thank you shootmeniw, good luck to your daughter and her friend. That's quite scary about the no insurance. Mind you all my older children had insurances that equalled their first choices, not necessarily a problem unless you just miss out.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Ah LFH - I have always enjoyed your posts and am thrilled to read how your DS has flourished. I have a DS the same age - didn't go to GS and has not generally enjoyed school but has great offers for all the unis he's applied for. It all works out in the end. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now