Single Level Tests - Pilot Scheme

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Clark69

Single Level Tests - Pilot Scheme

Post by Clark69 »

My daughter, who is in year 6, completed in December 2007, trial SATS tests for reading, writing and mathematics. The tests were called Single Level Tests Making Progress.
This morning the results arrived via the post saying she has achieved level 4 in all of the subjects. I am confused as she achieved level 5 in all subjects at the end of year 5 and is consistently achieving level 5's in class assignments. Is this the maximum level able to be achieved in the pilot scheme or should I now be worrying?
As we are now on half term week and am unable to question the Headteacher can anyone shed any light on this please.
:?
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

My sons school is also piloting this scheme.Don'y worry about your DS's scores-she will still take the normal SATS in May and be able to keep the best of the 2 scores.From reading the papers this week it seems that the marks nationally have been lower than anticipated-they are surmising that it is because they were not "taught to the test".
In todays paper they also say that the way of marking is slightly different too-to get a level 4 you have to achieve well into the range whereas in the traditional SATS 1 mark into the range would give you the level-don't really understand it myself!(Daily Mail Sat 16th).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Clark69,

If she sat the level 4 test all she can get is level 4 - it only tests ONE level - a bit like a music exam you either achieve the level or you do not.

I think schools were encouraged to enter pupils who were secure at a level as it is a trial.
Clark69

Post by Clark69 »

Thank you, that's really helpful. I think the two weeks left waiting for the 11 plus results is taking its toll, paranoia is setting in!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now