KES Scholarship result at interview?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Shnshn

KES Scholarship result at interview?

Post by Shnshn »

I have been told that someones DS got called for a KES interview and received a full scholarship.
I was under the impression nothing would be revealed until 12th Feb results day.
Is it different for scholarships, results revealed at interview??

I know the assisted places results are given on results day, just wondering about the scholarships?
hermanmunster

Re: KES Scholarship result at interview?

Post by hermanmunster »

wishful thinking?
actually interviewed last year?
confusion that it was a scholarship interview - not actually an offer?

Must say seems odd - they usually do all offers at once when they have done the sums re bursaries/ scholarships etc
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1...sounds unlikely as, until they have seen all the possible candidates, they don't know what they are all like!
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

This scholarship has been awarded to the Assisted Place pupil who finishes highest in the entrance exam each year.....

http://www.trust.kes.org.uk/claughton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Usually independent schools have a local agreement as to when offers will be made. This is to avoid schools from trying to offer earlier than competitors in order to secure candidates deposits before other school results are known.

In my experience there always seem to be parents who jump the gun regardless of the fact that they do not yet have a written offer. At interviews some schools will be trying to sell themselves, especially to very strong candidates, and parents will leave interview reasonably confident that their child will get an offer. But it is not the same as getting an offer in writing.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Shnshn wrote:I have been told that someones DS got called for a KES interview and received a full scholarship.
I was under the impression nothing would be revealed until 12th Feb results day.
Is it different for scholarships, results revealed at interview??

I know the assisted places results are given on results day, just wondering about the scholarships?
Its my understanding there are 5 foundation scholarships on offer of 50% off the fees which can be combined with bursaries and there are a further 12 to 15 scholarships on offer for between 10% to 40% off the fees, again can be combined with bursaries.Those interviews began yesterday and will go into next week for those who couldn't attend this week.I would have thought no offers would be made until all candidates have been interviewed.Last year that was on results day.After this stage there are interviews for the bursary candidates and then for the borderline candidates.This process continues in stages over the next weeks up until results day.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

+1, if you're called for a scholarship interview you know you're going to be offered a place on results day (unless, presumably, you do something truly awful on the day and convince them to change their minds :lol: ) but you won't know whether you've got the scholarship until you see the letter - and there are no "full" scholarships: 50% max.

However...good enough for scholarship = more than good enough for an AP. If you applied for an AP, a scholarship interview means you're pretty much certain to be offered the AP (I don't think we've ever come across anyone being rejected for an AP after being interviewed for a scholarship?) and an AP certainly can cover 100% of the fees if income is low enough. So maybe that's what lies behind the story?

Mike
Shnshn

Post by Shnshn »

Thank you for your input everyone.

My DS has also been called for an interview and they did mention on the phone that it is for an Assisted Place.

A lot of people have been congratulating my son but im still telling them we wont know until results day! Poor DS is a little bit confused! I've told him its an achievement in itself to be called for an interview but you still wont know until results day.
I have told him that the school said he did 'really well' and want to find out more about him!
Will practise interview, i think he will enjoy that part! Loves talking!

Im wondering if i should post on here about what happens at the interview or would that be unfair as i dont think they would conduct all interviews the same way?
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Just had a call from Mrs Phillips! Also called for an Assisted Place interview. I was told it wouldn't be with Mr Claughton but with Mr Phillips and someone else. Now I just have to enthuse the boy who doesn't want to go to school with his brother....
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

Hi

Just had a phone call today from the school regarding an Interview next week for a Scholarship or Assisted Place Interview for my son.

Don't know what to think of it all as we didn't see this happening as there were so many children there that day and probably so many that can afford the full fees.

Its a great school, haven't got a clue what the Interviews will be like.

Anyone have any experience of these interviews?
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream