Pre-U vs A-Level Chemistry

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
committed

Pre-U vs A-Level Chemistry

Post by committed »

Does anyone have any experience of Pre-U Chemistry and how it compares to A-Level?

Chemistry is the only Pre-U option offered by my DS’s school, but we’ve heard from another Chemistry teacher it is very difficult and a great option for those who want to take Chemistry or a related degree at university, but not such a good option if you’re looking to do something else.

My DS likes Chemistry, but at this point is more interested in Economics and is trying to choose his options. He is definite on Maths and Economics, but is undecided on which two from Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry as he likes them all.

If the Pre-U Chemistry option is so much harder the question is whether he would be better off making other choices or not?

Any views on the Pre-U course would be welcomed.

Many thanks
Guest55

Re: Pre-U vs A-Level Chemistry

Post by Guest55 »

I've also heard it's harder than A level.

Some universities will prefer Furthe Maths for an Economic degree - it might be worth looking at course requirements now. I've known a few students find out at the end of Year 12 that they need Further Maths and then there is an issue with fitting it in.
mad?

Post by mad? »

No experience of Chemistry but DD1 did History Pre U and I would concur that it was much harder than A level (albeit more enjoyable and good prep for Uni in that there was a sizable amount of independent study) and more work. She got a lot out of it but if it is the 3rd/4th choice and there are other contenders might be worth considering on of them.

ETA Agree with G55. DD doing an Economics degree now and Further Maths already hugely beneficial.
mad?
committed

Post by committed »

Thanks so much for the feedback Guest55 and mad?

I'm very keen for FM to be included in the mix for precisely the reason you've both suggested in that it is beneficial, highly rated and also appears to be a key differentiator for universities.

If he does go that route and it comes down to Chemistry or Physics, then it would seem sensible to choose Physics, as that way he'll avoid a much harder course, but the maths options should help Physics too.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Physics will definitely help with Further Maths, DD found M3 very tricky and was constantly told by others in her class 'it's just physics', which she didn't study. Also, based on my experience of a sample of 10 from last year, (sorry not valid I know...) if DS is looking at Economics at Durham, it is worth trying to get an essay subject in there, and making sure FM is a 4th not 3rd A level...
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now