2017 University application

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rosie

2017 University application

Post by rosie »

I am interested in your thoughts about how Universities will make offers in the absence of AS levels.

My daughter's school is encouraging pupils to take either 4 A levels or 3 A levels plus the extended essay option.
Guest55

Re: 2017 University application

Post by Guest55 »

The unis haven't decided this themselves yet so I'm not sure any thoughts we may have are reliable.

Some subjects haven't changed yet though so any AS levels in modular subjects will still be important.

Personally I think they will look more closely at GCSE grades.
moved

Post by moved »

Wouldn't it be nice if they looked at the predictions provided by the teachers who know the pupils best.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

moved - some schools over-predict to an extreme degree. You only have to see a few posts on TSR to see that AS levels of CCCC are being predicted AAB and other crazy things.

We would predict roughly the same as the AS grades achieved unless the UMS were close to the next grade up or illness had affected the results.

Quite a few articles have looked at how inaccurate prediction were - here's an example:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... grades.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
moved

Post by moved »

I know, but there are the honourable out there.

Oxford stated last year or before that they used predictions and state schools were generally slightly low whereas independent schools were high and hence their students were offered more places.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now