Choice of Subjects for A Levels

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
worriedmum1234

Choice of Subjects for A Levels

Post by worriedmum1234 »

Hi All,

As the deadline for A Level Subject choices is soon now, Me and my son were wondering if taking Maths Physics and Economics will be a good choice?!
His school is offering these subjects from Edexcel Board. Your views and advice highly appreciated!

Many Thanks
Worriedmum1234
ToadMum

Re: Choice of Subjects for A Levels

Post by ToadMum »

worriedmum1234 wrote:Hi All,

As the deadline for A Level Subject choices is soon now, Me and my son were wondering if taking Maths Physics and Economics will be a good choice?!
His school is offering these subjects from Edexcel Board. Your views and advice highly appreciated!

Many Thanks
Worriedmum1234
A perfectly respectable trio of subjects. Are these what he is good at and enjoys? What does he want to go on to do post A level?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
worriedmum1234

Post by worriedmum1234 »

Hi ToadMum,

Thanks for your reply!

He loves Maths since being a child, plans to take up engineering post A-level. We thought of taking Economics because if he doesnt get a good uni for engineering then a degree in finance could be a good option too... Coz he loves to study Economics too!

Worriedmum1234
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Worriedmum1234 - he should thnik about taking Further Maths as well if he is serious about Engineering or Economics - some unis want to see both.

It's worth looking at a few uni websites to check.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:Worriedmum1234 - he should thnik about taking Further Maths as well if he is serious about Engineering or Economics - some unis want to see both.

It's worth looking at a few uni websites to check.
+1

FM would be essential imo also. Do 4 straight A levels ignore AS, General studies,Critical Thinking or the equally ridiculous EPQ no one takes them seriously! They are just common sense or general knowledge.

Don't worry g55 sooner or later we will find something to fall out about :wink:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'd agree, FM would be an excellent choice for engineering. I did maths, FM, physics and chemistry as did DH, and both went into chem eng.

Economics is also useful in engineering but to a lesser degree. I think most if not all eng courses will include economics in some form or another, I know mine did and that was quite some time ago. It's not necessary though.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catseye - you can't ignore AS levels in Maths and F Maths since they are still modular!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:Catseye - you can't ignore AS levels in Maths and F Maths since they are still modular!
my mistake you are of course right. :oops:

never mind, theres time yet to find something to disagree about :lol:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Just because you don't rate or understand the EPQ, Catseye, stop calling it ridiculous. You sound pompous in the extreme.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Just because you don't rate or understand the EPQ, Catseye, stop calling it ridiculous. You sound pompous in the extreme.
In thoery it sounds like a great idea but the whole qualification is wide open to abuse,I have never come across any student at my son's school that has not got an A*.

It has the same problems as course work no one knows who is doing the work-and university admin tutors know it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now