Indies school - holidays

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

roselyn

Indies school - holidays

Post by roselyn »

To
(Indies School) working parents…

Recently found out Indies schools have 5 weeks extra holidays than State schools.
3 weeks term holidays, Oct half term -2 weeks, 2 weeks extra holidays in summer…

I am just wondering how the working parents are managing Indies school holidays - around 20 weeks of school holidays ?
Holiday clubs ? - Definitely a cost need to be considered …
Grand parents ? Friends place ?
Any other ways?

PS: Its not only indies...even for state schools - its around 15 weeks holidays...Just trying to find out what everyone does generally...
baggies4ever

Re: Indies school - holidays

Post by baggies4ever »

It's certainly a juggle and definitely worth thinking ahead on, but manageable. Firstly, you'll find that the majority of families are in the same boat and so happy to muck in and work rotas in the early senior school years. I'm self-employed, home-based, so my situation is slightly different - however, here are some thoughts based on my own experience and those of friends who 'go out' to work:
- Take heart that the painful bit is only for the first few years of senior - I was pleasantly surprised how much more independent my girls could be during holidays from Year 8/Year 9 onwards.
- Most parents will be in the same boat so do take advantage of early social gatherings at school - parent networks in those early years are invaluable (also local family if you have it - I don't!). Great for arranging whole-day playdates/ sleepovers etc.
- If you have a choice of schools, don't underestimate proximity, for this very reason. My DDs live close to school, however the catchment is huge and it's been a real pain at times, balancing work deadlines with ferrying children around North London! Equally, if you're close to public transport this is also great for their independence during holidays - it's just a question of when you're ready for them to be 'home alone' for significant periods.
- Holiday clubs & camps, absolutely, have used them a plenty (and yes they cost - budget for it)

But in short, with a bit of planning, you can do it and it does get easier - Good Luck!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

From the end of year 7 onwards DD has been happy to be at home alone during holidays. We try and arrange at least one if us to be off at some point so we can spend a day together. I work part time too so I'm usually home by mid afternoon.
When I say alone, she usually organises to see friends, either they come here or she goes to them. She is quite happy to travel independently in public transport, as that's how she gets to school everyday.
Grandparents often offer to take her away for a few days, but they are all getting less mobile etc, and she is getting less keen.

She did go to a holiday club, but often struggled to make friends and didn't like it. She was given the choice of holiday club or being at home at the end of year 7 and chose home.

We give her small jobs around the house to be done and she usually sets herself little projects to do.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

For us the pure economics of 9 weeks summer holiday meant that DH became a SAHD and I get a cooked meal every evening. If he'd been a high earner then maybe that would have been different but with what he could earn and what it would cost it just didn't add up. He is far better at all the household stuff than I could ever be. He is going back to work once DD is settled in secondary school this September (state not Independent). On the plus side we saved money going away at 'cheap' times of the year in the years we could afford to get away.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Mine both able to be home alone for a while. Only limit is my dislike of them sitting on screens all day! So for that reason my 4 hour per day job can be done from home in the holidays on days when dh not around.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

https://www.gov.uk/law-on-leaving-your-child-home-alone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are also some useful links on this page. Many district councils run activities in the summer holidays.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Mine have always steadfastly refused to attend any sort of holiday club. Downside I suppose of never having 'had' to as one of us was at home and we never had the money to do it or the need. Combine that with a big dash of healthy introversion and holiday clubs were ever going to feature!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yamin151 wrote:Mine have always steadfastly refused to attend any sort of holiday club. Downside I suppose of never having 'had' to as one of us was at home and we never had the money to do it or the need. Combine that with a big dash of healthy introversion and holiday clubs were ever going to feature!
Such was the dread of attending any kind of organised activity in the holidays that until quite recently I used to threaten mine with it if they started arguing on day one of the holidays (i.e. every holiday). 'If you keep that up I will send you to a holiday club!'. They soon knew I didn't mean it though, as the price of the things would generally cost more than a family holiday anyway.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Local activities are much cheaper than a holiday - some are free!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Yup, like I say, they wouldn't attend anything where we would leave them except school. Doesn't seem to have affected their social life which is a normal round of sleepovers and burgeoning independence!
Not knocking the events! How I wished at the time that they would do more, but you have what you have and lots of advantages in other ways.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now