KEHS exam and sickness

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiredmama

KEHS exam and sickness

Post by tiredmama »

As many of you know Kehs exam takes place this Thursday and Friday. Unfortunately dd was running high temp last night, and it is still hight today 39.6. She's also been sick. I'm gutted for her. Don't know whether to dose he up on nurofen and send her in or take a doctor's note and let her sit it later. I seem to think if she sits it later she really has no chance as by then all the papers would be marked and places allocated .... Has anyone ever been or known someone in a similar position in the past? Pls advise

ps. it really is sod's law as she hasn't missed a day due to sickness in over 5 years
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
PurpleDuck

Re: KEHS exam and sickness

Post by PurpleDuck »

I would ring the school, explain the situation and ask for their advice. Don't schools usually have a reserve date for situations like this? If your DD has been unwell for a few days, nurofen is not going to solve the issue - it will lower her temperature and get rid of the headache, but whether she will be able to focus and perform well enough, I doubt. Better to do the exam on the reserve day, if the school has one, rather than risk throwing your DD's chance away. If she sits the exam this week and doesn't do well, I don't think you will be able to make any excuses for that.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

There is a lot of sickness going round at the moment - I'm no GP but I am pretty sure my GP says NOT to take any Brufen based product with a bad tummy, so that would be my first advice!

Ring the school - they should have a back up date - if they don't and let her sit it, at least you have given them prior notice that she is not firing on all cylinders.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Good luck tiredmama, hopefully DC will feel much better tomorrow. No one I know seems to have put a huge amount into the KEHS prep. I suppose EHS and Bluecoat have been going at it h.ell for leather.

DD has done a Manchester Grammar English past paper this evening, but that is about it. Its amazing when I started this Journey 2 years ago we looked at the MGS past papers and bricked ourselves and tonight they didn't seem daunting at all!!
Last edited by Petitpois on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Please speak to the school and get a doctors note.Although it is now over 11 years ago my elder brother in laws daughter was ill and she sat the exam a week later after my eldest daughter.Both got places.My memory seems to suggest they may have changed some of the exam for the late sitters to prevent cheating.

See how she is in the morning if at all unwell ring the school and take her to the doctors.Good luck.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

Thank you all for your advice, she's been sick again this evening and temperature is staying high. Given the 48 hour rule she should not be in school (any school for that matter) anyway in the next 48 hours. We all had this virus (minus sickness) last week and it took 5 days to get better. So it would be a miracle if she wakes up feeling well tomorrow. She also only ate half a toast throughout the whole day :-( I will phone KEHS tomorrow afternoon and see what they say.

PP we have done zero preparation and I mean none. I went to an open day a week ago, there was a 15 min talk about exam prep. They made it so very clear and reiterated it over and over again that no coaching would help any girl secure a place. They said they know exactly the type of children they are looking for and those are the children that would be happy in their school. They recommended reading and discussing what the child read, asking questions looking for answers etc and for maths it is applying it in different contexts and not just calculating basically. Maths teacher gave an example of a maths problem where you have to think of a number between one and ten, times it by nine, add the tens and units together, then take away five and then find the corresponding letter of the alphabet. one you have the letter think of a country beginning with that letter. that type.
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

quasimodo wrote:Please speak to the school and get a doctors note.Although it is now over 11 years ago my elder brother in laws daughter was ill and she sat the exam a week later after my eldest daughter.Both got places.My memory seems to suggest they may have changed some of the exam for the late sitters to prevent cheating.

See how she is in the morning if at all unwell ring the school and take her to the doctors.Good luck.
Thanks quasimodo. That's a relief to know it worked out for both girls. It's the logistics of it, I work in the mornings so I will have to phone GP in the afternoon. They are usually fully booked for weeks to come so i don't know if they agree to see her. But I will sort something out, i will be on it come tomorrow afternoon.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Tiredmama, when you speak to the school, explain to them the difficulty of getting the same day appointment. Does your surgery do telephone consultations on the day? Or should you - if there is such an option - take your daughter to see an out of hours doctor the evening before the exam, so that you have an official record of her illness? I don't really know what to suggest, but maybe the school will have some ideas. I hope your DD feels better soon.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

From what I remember you will require medical proof of the illness.

There is an illness going round with the symptoms you describe.My eldest dd has been in bed all day and my youngest dd tells me six of her classmates with her form teacher are off at present with similar symptoms.I am sure the school will be sympathetic.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

Just to update you guys, I left for work at 8 am and gave my dd calpol just before I left. While at work I got lots of whatsupps from her how she was feeling better and she didn't feel sick any more etc. I come home at 2pm and she has no temperature, she had some breakfast today and some soup for lunch. I am thinking we've got some good signs. I go to school to collect my other child and book him into before school club as there will be no one to take him to school with hubby taking my daughter to exam and me leaving early for work.

Around at 4 pm her temperature started to rise again, her eyes looked droopy and her voice started to go :( we are back to square one. I have to get up at 6 tomorrow and see how she is and make a decision on the spot. She wants to sit it, i know she won't do her best and she's not in good shape and she has been in bed since monday night but whatever is meant to be will be.

Good luck to everyone sitting this exam tomorrow, I hope your dds do well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now