Synonyms and Antonyms

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nard

Synonyms and Antonyms

Post by Nard »

Please could anyone recommend any tips for building up speed and accuracy on synonyms and antonyms. My DS2 is struggling with this and I wondered if there was any books which were solely aimed at this topic.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!
MSD

Re: Synonyms and Antonyms

Post by MSD »

We used set of 13 vocab books from AE Tuition and 3 Schonnel books and found them quite useful not only for word learning but also for Cloze familiarisation/practice.

You can also look at the following online resources for learning new words and building speed.

Freerice.com
Learnthat.org

As you have rightly pointed out speed is the key for Antonyms/synonyms and children are expected to answer anywhere between 50 to 80 words in roughly 15 minutes.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Hi nard

I tried using this 8 letter game off woodlands junior school

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/cgi-bin/top ... game=eight

We also used free rice.

Both helped with vocabulary and synonyms & 8 letter game also seemed to help with close style fill in the blank words with only a few letters present.

Hope that helps.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

There is a useful little book by Christine R. Draper: 'Synonyms and Antonyms. Vocabulary for the CEM style 11 plus'. It's a work book with word-banks and exercises, you could use it both for building up vocabulary and practising speed.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.scholastic.com/wordgirl/synonym_toast.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

What a brilliant game - and harder than it looks!
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
hoff

Post by hoff »

we had our son drill. i posted a little python script I wrote here
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=44835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I managed 13800 after getting used to it. Is there any way to vary the difficulty. The words don't vary too much, but I like the speed bit. Y4 DD2 managed with a bit of help 8500 after a few goes, but if you don't know a word then you don't know it.

Strange one this, I liked it for speed and for showing a bit about the range of DD2 vocab. Once you have learned a few its will be useless pretty quickly