Waiting list

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Robmax

Waiting list

Post by Robmax »

Hi,

My daughter has been put on a waiting list in one of the indep schools. The school is not willing to disclose what no. on the list she is. Has anyone been on a similar situation before and what r her chances.

Thanks.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

No experience I am afraid but I heard on the grapevive about one independent school local to me which is likely to offer all those on the waiting list a place. You may be choosing to not name the school, but someone may have more specific information if you feel able to name the school or area.
KES Parent

Re: Waiting list

Post by KES Parent »

Robmax wrote:Hi,

My daughter has been put on a waiting list in one of the indep schools. The school is not willing to disclose what no. on the list she is. Has anyone been on a similar situation before and what r her chances.

Thanks.
I think if they can't even be straightforward with you at this stage of the game, when presumably they may soon be trying to entice you as a paying customer, I would be very worried about what their attitude to parents is generally. Do you have an alternative school you could send your daughter to?
fm

Post by fm »

I would have thought it would depend on what alternative schools there are in the neighbourhood. We have free grammar schools in Birmingham so there is a fair degree of shifting when the state results come out. Of the 6 of my students to win a place at our local independent, only 2 definitely intend to take up the place, the others hoping for a free grammar school place.

waiting list

Post by 1401 »

Generally I would say her chances are quite good. Many of the independent and public schools have waiting lists. They know that once state grammar places are out they often do not have the take up of offers. It basically boils down to what parents can financially afford - in many cases the private option is the safety net.
SunlampVexesEel

Re: waiting list

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

1401 wrote:in many cases the private option is the safety net.
Indeed. There may be significant movement once the 3rd March (and say 2 or 3 weeks) has passed.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now