WARWICKSHIRE - Princethorpe or Warwick Boys?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Huntsman

WARWICKSHIRE - Princethorpe or Warwick Boys?

Post by Huntsman »

OK, so my son did well in the 11+ ad should get a place at a grammar school based on his result.
He is a keen sportsman, loves his food, and is interested in Art and musical instruments, so his interests are varied.

However, he has also been lucky enough to be offered places at both Warwick and Princethorpe.

I am interested to hear views on both.

What is good, what is bad?
What clinched your decision if you had/have the same options?

There is a rumour going round that pretty much everyone that took Warwick has got in this year. Does that mean standards are on the slide? Are Princethorpe o the "up and up" and now’s the time to join?
kenyancowgirl

Re: WARWICKSHIRE - Princethorpe or Warwick Boys?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We held offers for both but opted for neither - but they are very different in their ethos. Princethorpe tends to be a little more nurturing (possible the Catholic ethos). Although I don't think either of them are particularly difficult to pass the entrance exam, generally Princethorpe was always easier to get in (i.e. we do know people who did not get a place at Warwick but did at P/Thorpe) and is also more economical in terms of fees so popular for that. And obviously P/Thorpe is mixed.

Personally I think Warwick is becoming a little less popular as it has got a reputation for bringing out slightly aggressive "full of themselves" (?arrogant?) boys rather than assertive. Sportsmen are lauded in Warwick and competition for places on teams is fierce and quite ruthless - indeed, boys are selected and courted to the school due to their prowess on various sports fields - I believe they are starting to move away from the "win at all cost" mentality that seemed to pervade all sport under the previous head - which has to be an improvement - Princethorpe seem to be more measured in their approach to sport.

The key thing for us was asking about the pastoral side - the answer from Warwick was all about how they would help the boy with his homework and lessons - i.e. it was only about pastoral as it affected his work, not how it would affect him in other ways.
Very Confused

Re: WARWICKSHIRE - Princethorpe or Warwick Boys?

Post by Very Confused »

Hi
Please can you let me know what you decided? We are in a similar position - my son has been awarded academic scholarships at both and we are unsure which way to go - They are both fantastic schools....After a disappointing 11+ result we are over the moon!
Any advise on which one you went to and how your DS DD is getting on would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks in advance
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now