Thinking ahead - waiting lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tonythetiger

Thinking ahead - waiting lists

Post by Tonythetiger »

Hello all!

Having resigned myself to the fact that DD is unlikely to get her choice on 1/3 (Handsworth Girls, score 221), I was wondering how it works with the waiting lists. I know you automatically go on the ones of the choices above the school you get, but do they tell you automatically or do you need to ask?

Thanks! Time is flying - can't believe it's only just over 3 weeks away... Good luck everyone with the wait!!
booellesmum

Re: Thinking ahead - waiting lists

Post by booellesmum »

Hiya. You are automatically on wait list, but you have to phone to find out where. We were on 45th for SCGSG last year and got in off wait list at end of July. It was a huge surprise as hadn't realised lists moved that much and hadn't called back. (Hadn't discovered this forum then!) I think you should get the place you want even if you have to wait a short while. Good luck.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If memory serves me right, you will be put on the waiting lists for any schools you ranked higher on your CAF, automatically, as the LEA assumes you still would prefer them. If you are happy with the school you are offered, it is important that you tell the LEaa you don't want to be on the wait list for higher schools - otherwise you run the risk of then being offered a school you initially ranked higher and, in the absolute spirit of the CAF you would lose the school you were originally offered.

Keep records of any contacts you have with the LEA, just in case. And keep positive - you never know - things will move quickly straight after allocations day.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Nice question, equally nice answer. Tony I have managed expectations for Handsworth with Garden Pea and DD1, as we in roughly the same position as you in the lower 220's. We tried the KEHS as a fall back plan B, but that has not come off. So we like you are looking at Handsworth if possible off the waiting list.

The key info / thread we will need is the one they open up on offers day. If the lowest cutoff offer on offer day is 224 for Handsworth Girls, you should be okay (although a wait for both of us will be in the offing).

Were looking out for a maximum(lowest) offer of 225. I think you should be looking out for about 224 on offers day, if you going to have a realistic chance off the waiting list.

Of course, like you I have resigned myself for various reasons to not getting what we want, but so many here are of the view that cut offs should only increase by 1-2 points. If that were the case you would be looking at 221. Distance at the margins may come in to play.

I put the risk of that outcome as 33% to happen 66% not to happen. However 33% is still a very good risk to be working with, so neither of us can honestly rule out a result on 1/3/16

Goodluck
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

When we were offered our higher choice school from the wait list the letter said we no longer had a place at the school we were originally offered, but could contact them if we wished to appeal and keep it - we didn't. I agree, better to come off the wait lists if you decide you do want what is first offered after all.
Tonythetiger

Post by Tonythetiger »

Thank you everyone for your responses. Do you ring the schools directly or do the Foundation Office coordinate the King Edward's lists?

It's been a huge learning curve, these past few months! Thank you for all the tips.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Hi. I had to call the LEA school admissions office. The number I was given was 0121 675 0555 - but may be different this year!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

CHB: PAN = 120, PP = 30, Over PAN = 0, Cut-Off=238 Waiting List Offers = 48+4(PP), Revised Cut Off Score = 238

FW: PAN = 180, PP = 36, Over PAN = 0, Cut-Off=232 Waiting List Offers = 58, Revised Cut Off Score =228

CHG: PAN = 150, PP = 30, Over PAN = 0, Cut-Off=231 Waiting List Offers = 42, Revised Cut Off Score = 225

KEA: PAN = 120, PP = 30, Over PAN = 0, Cut-Off=224 Waiting List Offers =25 , Revised Cut Off Score =

KEHG: PAN = 160, PP = 32, Over PAN = 0, Cut-Off=219 Waiting List Offers = 43, Revised Cut Off Score = 215

SCGSG: PAN = 180, PP = NA, Over PAN = 0, Cut-Off=215 Waiting List Offers = 22, Revised Cut Off Score = 214

BV: PAN = 160, PP = ??, Over PAN = 0, Cut-Off=219 Waiting List Offers = 43, Revised Cut Off Score = 215

HGB: PAN = 150, PP = NA, Over PAN = 0, Cut-Off=207 Waiting List Offers = , Revised Cut Off Score = 206

Please post the updates below for Sep 2015 admissions

Can one of the mods just clarify a few questions for those of us likely to be biting nails etc.

1) No over PAN this year as for last year due to PP
2) What does waiting list offfers=43 actually mean. I am assuming it means that 43 letters were sent to parents (in the case of KEHG) after 1st March. People may or may not have accepted these offers, but the last offer sent out was to a DD that had scored 215
3) Why so many offers for CHB , but no movement in score is that wrong for CHB, should it have been offers = 246 , revised cut off 238???
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Hi, just to clarify, HGB Revised cut off score for 2015 was 203 and not 206. Believe me, I have checked and double checked as HGB is our only realistic option!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

PP a lot of the information is on a stickie in the Brum section and the update begins with info from Um.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now