GCSE Latin vs Classics

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pumpkin Pie

GCSE Latin vs Classics

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

DD is undecided as whether to take Latin (which she has studied from Year eight) and really enjoys, or to take Classics which is being introduced at GCSE, and which sounds very interesting to her.

Can anyone shed any light on these as GCSE courses. Unfortunately she is not able to take both!

Many thanks!
Daogroupie

Re: GCSE Latin vs Classics

Post by Daogroupie »

Is this OCR Latin? I would stick to that though it is very very interesting to hear that a GCSE Classics is being introduced. Do you know what board or anything more about it? DG
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Yes, just been to a Parent's Evening at the school to discuss options. Both courses are OCR.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Is this the OCR Classic Civilisations course? If so then Latin is considered more academic - in Classical Civ you are only looking at English translations I believe. At dcs school classic civ is only for those in bottom set who would struggle with the language.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Yes it is the OCR Classic Civilisations course.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Latin.
Y

Post by Y »

My son did Class Civ (as well as Latin). He was very excited at the prospect of the course, but in reality, despite an excellent teacher, he found it rather a drudge. You are also expected to comment on the literary language of a translated work - he found himself in the bizarre position of having to talk about alliteration etc in the translation, having no idea what was in the original. And to add to all that, it's quite difficult to do well in.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now