Extra time in 11+ tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

crazytime

Extra time in 11+ tests

Post by crazytime »

A friend asked if you get extra time in the SET tests
I have advised her to contact the schools but was wondering if anyone knows, is this offered ?
PurpleDuck

Re: Extra time in 11+ tests

Post by PurpleDuck »

I assume this would be for a child with particular (and officially documented) needs, such as dyslexia or dyspraxia etc? If this is the case, I think - although I'm not 100% sure - the schools are obliged to make special arrangements, but you were right suggesting to your friend it's best to check directly with the school.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Yes you can, and when the details for the exam come out you will be told who to contact.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

If a child is awarded extra time for the entrance exam will they then go on to get that automatically in all tests and exams in school?
I can see that can be done for GCSE and A level but how does it work for the tests they have in class on a fairly regular basis?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

For the more formal tests, yes, though I think you have to be reassessed every so often (from what I've seen students seem to only have 1 assessment during years 7-11, timed in order to give them the extra time until GCSE). I suspect that pupils may not get extra time in say a weekly vocab test.

Unfortunately in exam week the "extra time" definitely comes out of free time, and it can be quite intense.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Thanks Ladymuck that's helpful.
We have a close friend who's dd has been allowed extra time but she is worried that going forward may feel quite pressurised with all the tests they seem to get these days.
Happy265

Post by Happy265 »

My daughter is in year 7 at Nonsuch and had extra time for the entrance exams.

I would be happy to answer any questions if you PM me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now