Advice for tutoring DC taking test this year

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Road Runner

Advice for tutoring DC taking test this year

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Patricia

Thought I should start a new subject. I will move my last questions to here if I can.

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Bucks Mum wrote:I've noticed my son doesn't even look at the questions for these Type E questions but just find the hidden word from the pairs on the MC answer sheet! is this a good technique or are there any pitfalls?
patricia

Post by patricia »

patricia wrote:Dear Bucks Mum

Absolutely the correct method, well done to your son for noticing this time saving technique. He can also do the same for tyes D H and Q as all the words are on the answer sheet.

Technically the method can be used for type B too, but I will not allow my students to do so, I like them to cross off the 3 that are the same, leaving the 2 odd [reason...publishers try to catch you out, so the children cross off while saying to themselves I know these 3 are the same because...]

The child will know when to go back to the answer sheet because an example of the next type will appear.

Patrica
patricia

Post by patricia »

Bucks Mum wrote:Thanks Patricia. Clearly he is much cleverer and devious then I am, having taught him to slavishly read the questions!
patricia

Post by patricia »

patricia wrote:
Bucks Mum wrote: having taught him to slavishly read the questions!
Thats another technique, my children read the instructions ONCE for each type in the very beginning, after that I cover up said instructions and get them to tell me which type it is. The 21 types all LOOK different except for D H and Q, for these they take a quick look to see if its Closest, Opposite or Compound word, then off they go.

I of course make it quite clear that any other exam they sit they MUST read instructions, just NOT for the 11 plus!.....saves an awful lot of time!

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Bucks Mum wrote:
my children read the instructions ONCE for each type in the very beginning
That's very interesting...do you mean at the very beginning of each test you do or at the very beginning of the whole coaching process?
patricia

Post by patricia »

patricia wrote:Very beginning of the whole coaching process, they remember the majority of types, may be tad hazy on 1 or 2, its surprising how much they remember.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Mel X wrote:Hi Patricia

My dd tends to remember the types although I haven't tried the covering up method. Perhaps I shall bring that in to our sessions.

We have now finished the technique and additional questions books so have moved on to the 30 minute tests. My daughter has completed two but hasn't got near the 30 minute time. She has taken 47 miutes scoring 42/50 then 49 minutes scoring 45/50. There were a numbver of code q's on the second one.

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

patricia wrote:Dear Mel

Many children find it hard completing the 30 minute tests in time, so do not worry. Continue to time though, as the children need to get used to working quickly [its not a Sunday afternoon drive!] I tell my parents to line off at 30 minutes, then continue to time for the rest of the test. You can then see their natural progression.

Are the Zs being left till last?

When I cover the instructions, that is in our sessions, for the test they are left to be seen, but the child knows they dont have to bother reading them.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Mel X wrote:Hi Patricia

On the recent test after 30 minutes she had answered 38 questions. She had left the Z's but also had left some others she feels take longer so it then took her 19 minutes to finish the last 12 which then mainly included codes and the z's.

I believe her score is good accurate 45/50? and the ones she has got wrong have been vocab, words she doesn't know. I am making a note of all these words and getting her to look them up and learn the meaning.

I was thinking perhaps I should get her to practise the code ones on thier own. Or should we continue now with all these tests and see what her progress is.

Mel
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now