Interview: How Schools Judge and Select

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummywifedaughter

Interview: How Schools Judge and Select

Post by mummywifedaughter »

My DS2 attended Westminster Under School and Colet Court 11+ interviews but unfortunately failed one and waiting list another. I do not surprise he can go further to the interviews as I know very well his academic level. He attended QE, Buckingham and Berkshire 11+ tests and got nearly top marks for all (max 5 marks away). He is a naturally intelligent (with top IQ) and also a sunny boy. From nursery to Y6 every teacher likes him and every classmate would like to play with him. We did general preparations for the interviews (e.g. eye contacts, handshake, respect...) The results shocked me and my boy. Both schools refuse the feedback requests. Just can not stop thinking and guessing the reasons...How schools judge and select...Location? (we are out of London but not far away) State School? (where my DS2 is in)...

Any thought welcome...

Thanks.
Ladymuck

Re: Interview: How Schools Judge and Select

Post by Ladymuck »

Given the degree of selectivity for these schools at 11+ a wait list is good.

They will be looking for boys who will be able to take full advantage of all of the opportunities on offer at the school. Both schools are used to boys commuting, but if you live a significant distance, then there might be a query as to how your son will manage what is a very long day. Does he already do a lot of extra-curricular activity? And do they fit in with what is on offer? When asked about his interests, what did your son say?
mad?

Post by mad? »

You should not be surprised, as those are two every highly selective schools and there will be many exceptional DC from both state and private sectors who have not got in. Try not to over think this, just put it down to bad luck on the day, you will never know and so there is no point worrying, particularly as you appear to have a good shot at other great schools? Good luck and congrats to your DS.
mad?
mummywifedaughter

Thanks Ladymuck. You put some very good questions. They did ask about relocation but DS2 honestly answered 'I don't know." And I guess there may be other flaws...
mummywifedaughter

Thank you mad? Your words so touching, making my eyes full with tears.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

The school day at independent schools is a long one, with school finishing from 4:10-6 at least twice a week. The school would want to know how your son is going to get there and back each day. If there isn't a sensible answer to that question then they would presume that they were not your first choice school. How long would it have taken your son to get to school?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Perhaps he did not answer the questions as well as you would have hoped?

I'm sure you know that scores are irrelevant for Bucks once the 121 qualifying has been reached. Did you apply to a Bucks GS?
mummywifedaughter

Thanks Guest55. Yes, we applied Bucks.

To Ladymuck: it could take 1 and half hours to CC and 2 hours to WUS. We did consider relocation but did not talk to DS2 yet.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Then unless he was going to board you have had a lucky escape. 3-4 hours a day, 6 days a week. Assuming he embraced the extra curricular opportunities there in they way that they would hope, that would mean 8pm getting home several times a week, probably more as he moved up the school.
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Are you in catchment for a Bucks GS? Places are allocated on distance ...

I would think that the Private schools may have doubted your interest given the journey times.