Alleyn's or Emanuel

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nikita76

Alleyn's or Emanuel

Post by Nikita76 »

Hi,

I would be curious to hear what you think about these two. We happen to live on Emanuel's door and all the parents I have spoken to are very happy there.

Alleyn's is much better academically, but would be a **** of a journey. Is the extra 2 hours a day of travelling worth it?
PurpleDuck

Re: Alleyn's or Emanuel

Post by PurpleDuck »

It wouldn't be for me. Think about your DS getting up an hour earlier and coming home an hour later. By the time he hits year 9/10, he will easily have 2 hours homework a night. He will probably want to take part in some extra-curricular activities...Will he be able to do that? Will he be able to benefit fully from what Alleyn's has to offer academically if he is shattered on a daily basis for the next 7 years? I don't know anything about Alleyn's and Emanuel so I can only go by what you say about these two schools, but even if Emanuel is academically not as strong as Alleyn's, your DS may do much better there, simply because he will not be too tired to learn.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

+1.
We only put down our closest Grammar for both DD1 and DD2 as we also had a great local comp we would have been happy with, and I really didn't want them to have a long commute. They just go 3 train stops.
But it is a very personal decision and you do have to do what you think is best for your child.
mad?

Post by mad? »

+2 no journey like that is worth is if you have a remotely acceptable alternative. Plenty of chance for night kids to do well at Emmanuel DC will be fine and will have a much better chance to participate fully and benefit from the whole school set up if he has not already spent half a day trying to get there! Good luck.
mad?