No offers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CA57

No offers

Post by CA57 »

Hi my son got no offers despite having 5 interviews. We are all extremely upset-not least him. He has 1 waiting list place. Can I urge all of you in SW London to give up your schools as soon as you can if you won't be taking up the place. The wait is agonising. Also any advice for where we go from here if we end up with nothing? He is currently in a state school. Thanks
Nikita76

Re: No offers

Post by Nikita76 »

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that! Here's me , moaning that we didn't get our first choice..

Which schools did you apply to?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

What a disappointment for you all. Presumably you will be allocated a state school on March 1st? You can accept that & then hope for a place from a waiting list.
scary mum
CA57

Post by CA57 »

Thanks yes we have a local state school with a poor reputation. We are in shock as didn't see this coming.. We applied to a wide range of schools but all realistic, nothing too academic. He's towards the top of his class in ability and we thought had everything going for him.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Oh no. I am really sorry. He did so well to get the interviews, he must be really bright. Obviously you have to take the comp place - and ensure he knows that if he is bright he will do well wherever he goes.
Good luck getting a place from wait list - everything crossed for you. X
CA57

Post by CA57 »

Thanks. He's not super bright, he's just a good all rounder and a nice kid so I thought we might be lucky :|
Nikita76

Post by Nikita76 »

Where are you on the waiting list? Which school? Schools like Emanuel for example should have a lot of movement
Vollen

Post by Vollen »

Hi. CA

My DD didn't get any offers either - we're devastated - no waiting list either. She only went for three -one unrealistic but her older sister is there so we felt we couldn't stop her from trying . The other two were possible though.
My suggestion is to try some prep schools that go to 13 - the mixed ones will lose nearly all the girls at this point so should have places . I'm not in your area so can't suggest anywhere specific . We're going to try this but I think some of them don't even take girls at 11 so maybe a better option for you than us

All the best and good luck

Volley
CA57

Post by CA57 »

Hi Volley

Sorry to hear you've had the same experience. It's very hard to see your child so disappointed when they put everything into it. Thanks re the prep school advice. I hadn't thought about the fact that mixed schools might have more movement. This is also the second time round for us. Hard when the first was plain sailing. Best of luck to you though.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

CA57 wrote:Hi Volley

Sorry to hear you've had the same experience. It's very hard to see your child so disappointed when they put everything into it. Thanks re the prep school advice. I hadn't thought about the fact that mixed schools might have more movement. This is also the second time round for us. Hard when the first was plain sailing. Best of luck to you though.
Hi CA57 - definitely good idea re prep schools, worth having a chat with them before March 1st - they may have quite a few enquiries as people look at options if they happy with the allocated school. I have known kids go to prep for 7&8 and then got into indies at 13
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now