KES waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Shnshn

KES waiting list

Post by Shnshn »

Anyone in the past been offered an AP from waiting list?

I was told to either accept full fee place or wait till after March 16th, if there are any AP refusals they will then be allocated to boys who were called for interview, so longshot but maybe DS might be in with a slight chance! Would love to hear from anyone who was offered an AP late.
Thank you.
Cosmo7

Re: KES waiting list

Post by Cosmo7 »

We're on the waiting list too, but for a fee paying place. Also waiting for March 16th :(
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

so is it

1) full fee place - offered
2) Scholarship / AP - offered
3) Conditional full fee place - ie you merit a place but we don't think you can pay
4) Waiting list

or do KES do it differently from KEHS
Cosmo7

Post by Cosmo7 »

Not sure about conditional full fee place - don't remember putting salary information on the application. So, for us, can pay, but on waiting list.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

We've been offered 3) and have to contact the bursar between 2nd-7th March to convince her of our capacity to pay, if we decide that we want him to go to KES. There was no mention of a waiting list for AP (which is what he was interviewed for).

We are currently undecided but leaning towards KECHB - he's scored well enough for Camp Hill & is keen to go there rather than join his brother. He's less arts & languages inclined than his brother too, and we saw that as one of KES's advantages when we were making a choice between KES and QMGS two years ago.
Shnshn

Post by Shnshn »

It seems that if more than 'expected' AP places are refused then the Head decides who to hand these places out to from the list of boys who were interviewed, however he has no access to the Bursar's records so does not know before hand if that boy has been successfull in securing a full fee place. Im not sure if i believe that but that is what KES has said. If its meant to be it will be, i think we will be refusing our place as cannot afford it and looking at Handsworth Grammar as a possibility and KE Aston if we get lucky from a waiting list, if we get really lucky maybe might just get that KES AP afterall!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Cosmo7 wrote:We're on the waiting list too, but for a fee paying place. Also waiting for March 16th :(
I was speaking to my brother in law on Friday and he will be declining a full fee paying place at KES.I hope this may assist you.His son was placed about 48 out of the 650 applicants.His view was if his son got a scholarship he could go.The issue was down to the fees.

It may surprise some people not the fact that others at his sons prep school got full fee paying place offers but some have assisted places albeit in one case at 10 %.There are more chances this year as a result more than than the one boy from last year will go.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
MSD

Post by MSD »

Assisted place for a child attending independent prep school!! How does that work Quasi?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

MSD wrote:Assisted place for a child attending independent prep school!! How does that work Quasi?
Have seen it happen on occasions - prep fees can be as little as half the senior school fees and KES AP system is more generous than many for equivalent incomes
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Just because parents send there children to prep schools doesn't mean some don't make sacrifices.The 10% is a junior doctors son.Just look at their salary scales.At KES I think the last time I looked the salary figure was up to £73,000 a year joint income below which you could get assistance.There are lots of other variables.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln