Areas to live in South Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBerry

Areas to live in South Bucks

Post by BlueBerry »

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can help me please. My father passed away recently & we are hoping to move from Surrey to South Bucks in order to be closer to my mother. My mother lives in Beaconsfield but we can't afford to buy there. One of my brothers live in Slough & the other is based in High Wycombe. Can someone please suggest areas that are close to these places that have a good primary & grammar schools?
My son is currently in year 4 and my daughter is 2 years old so have to think of both schooling situations.

Also, how does the grammar school system work in South Bucks? When would my son need to be tested? Ideally I would like my son to finish his primary education in Surrey and move to Bucks for his grammar/secondary education. Will this be feasible? Or am I jeopardising his chances of gaining a grammar school place?

Sorry for all the questions but this is all totally alien to me! Thank you.
Guest55

Re: Areas to live in South Bucks

Post by Guest55 »

We'd need to know a little more about your preferences - village, small town etc to advise you on location.

All children sit the Secondary Transfer Test early in Year 6 and, to get a GS place, the score needs to be 121 or more. Places are then allocated on distance so you do need to be in Bucks by then if you have a particular GS in mind. For example, Dr Challoners GS in Amersham require you to be in catchment by April of Year 5 and others by early in October.

You need to look at the alternatives should the qualifying score not be reached - that might influence your move too. There are Upper schools [this is what Bucks calls Secondary Modern schools] that are better than others.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... y-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also look at the stickies in the Bucks section.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thank you for your reply. Currently I'm living in a village with lots of greenery and National Trust land surrounding us. I'd love to have something similar in South Bucks but this will not possible as our house buying budget will struggle to get us a detached house! I've already discounted Amersham & Aylesbury as being too far from Beaconsfield. My husband also works part of the week in London & High Wycombe was recommended to me. We have looked at High Wycombe but the area didn't resonate with us. My husband would like us to rent initially before buying but I'm pretty keen to rent in the right area so that my son & I can make friends etc.

Thanks also for the tip regarding secondary schools, although I'm pretty hopeful that my son will pass the transfer tests.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There are some lovely places around High Wycombe - look out towards Speen, north of High Wycombe. Or east towards Chenies, Latimer (probably v expensive!).
Amersham isn't very far from Beaconsfield (10 mins, nearer than High Wycombe is)
scary mum
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I agree with Scary that there are lovely leafy areas not far from Wycombe. Speen, Hughenden, Bledlow, Saunderton, Penn, The Chalfonts, Prestwood, Missenden (though that is an uncertain area with HS2 on the way). All obviously have a price premium but not as high as Beaconsfield and all commutable to Wycombe and Becky. But, as G55 says, just make sure the catchment secondary schools are what you want (just in case of a bad result); there are a few failing ones in the vicinity.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I grew up in the Chalfonts and went to school in Beaconsfield. My parents are still in South Bucks.
I don't know huge amounts about house prices now but Amersham is very easy to get to Beaconsfield from (maybe 10 minutes?) and I would say rather easier than the HW to Beaconsfield journey.
Little Chalfont and Chesham have slightly trickier journeys but the housing certainly used to be cheaper there.
Also I think Prestwood/Great Missenden might be a little less expensive and is relatively easily accessible from Beaconsfield...
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks everyone. We've decided to focus our search to the towns/ villages that are close to the M40 and we need to be within 15-20mins drive from Beaconsfield. I might be working in Oxford, Reading or London so need to be close to good road networks.

We've been recommended to look at Marlow (but I'm finding the housing to be very expensive!), Bourne End & Flackwell Heath.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Around Marlow is nice - beautiful villages - we live in one and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Good Upper plus the option of Gillotts in Henley. Well thought of primaries. Choice of SWBGS or Wycombe schools for Grammars and v close to Wycombe.

Marlow is a lovely town - really nice area to live.

Eta Bourne End / Flackwell Heath I would look very carefully at which the catchment Upper is!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I agree the areas around Marlow are lovely. I may be placing too much emphasis on your statement that you had discounted Amersham as being too far from Beaconsfield (10 mins max). Marlow would be about 30 mins, more in traffic bearing Handy Cross in mind. You have a good choice of lovely areas, but as others have said, look carefully at the Uppers as well as the grammars.
scary mum