Raw score/ % needed to pass the 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
daddyof3

Raw score/ % needed to pass the 11+

Post by daddyof3 »

Can anyone tell me the raw scores or %needed to pass the eleven plus for a child who will be 11 years old when taking the test????

Many thanks
PettswoodFiona

Re: Raw score/ % needed to pass the 11+

Post by PettswoodFiona »

For Bexley I think someone posted previously that it was as low as 50%. If you browse back a bit you should find it. It will vary of course as the scores are standardised so an August born will not need such a high raw score as a September born child. For Newstead I haven't a clue as they don't release raw scores if you were to extrapolate the national offer day typical score in past of 225 (it then goes down a few pints typically between March and September) out of 280 that equates to roughly 80%. In the Kent tests I saw somewhere that a raw score of 10 out of 25 questions in the maths paper for someone 10 and 1 months at test date was a pass in that paper or 12 out of 25 if aged 11, so below 50%.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

It will depend one the mean raw score and the standard deviation for the year group, refined by age standardisation (i.e. like will be compared with like in terms of age within the cohort). So a tough paper will on the whole mean a low mean raw score, papers which most / all candidates find easy will push the mean raw score up. Therefore the underlying raw score needed to produce a given standardised score will vary from year to year.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
daddyof3

Post by daddyof3 »

Thank you so much PettswoodFiona and Toadmum. I just want to get an idea of how much my dd needs to pass the 11+. Has anyone got any ideas about the raw scores needed to pass the Kent test?
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

If it may be of any use/give some rough indication, I posted some raw and standardised scores for 2015 Sutton Grammar mock on another thread:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 00#p556300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Just want to caution (as others have mentioned in various posts) that a pass may not be enough to get into a Kent grammar school, especially if you are out of catchment.
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

I know someone who just passed with 215 (215 is pass mark) ...apparently this was 55-58% depending on age
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Mumsdarling2 - that's absolutely right, a pass is usually not quite enough to get a place, but might get someone on a waiting list. I remember a few years ago one of the grammars in Sutton had a pass mark of 221 (if I remember correctly), but the lowest mark that got a place was 228 or thereabout. It really is about aiming as high as possible.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

For Bexley it is a pass (and the oversubscription criteria like distance) or a top 180 score. If you get 226 compared to 215 it doesn't give you any advantage. However saying that as DD was also sitting for Newstead as well as Kent (needing a high OOC score) we always aimed for the best possible score and not just a pass.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Based on PettswoodFiona's post, it looks like schools in different areas have different ways of doing things as far as a pass/cut off mark is concerned... I have to say I prefer the way Bexley does it, at least there is transparency there. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to find out from each of the schools someone is interested in how their process works. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now