Bancrofts, Chigwell, Forest

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

OldBean

Bancrofts, Chigwell, Forest

Post by OldBean »

We have until next Friday to wait.

I thought it might be helpful (for me, admittedly) if we could have an up to date thread (I did a search and some of the others are a couple of years old) about the merits and downsides of each. If we get a choice I'm still not sure which we'd choose. Would be great to hear from people who have dc there.

Bancrofts was the only school we visited just once so I feel I know it the least.

Thanks
OldBean

Re: Bancrofts, Chigwell, Forest

Post by OldBean »

Nice 3 offers in the post. Very happy child. Now just need to make a decision. Nice position to be in. Hope everyone else got good news too.
Settembrini

Post by Settembrini »

Good news here too: ds got offers from Forest and Bancroft's (didn't apply to Chigwell) with a very generous music/academic scholarship from Forest. We prefer Forest anyway because music is important to ds, it's closer to where we live, and with the scholarship it's a no-brainer really!

The scholarship was a big surprise actually, ds did a music audition being entirely 'home schooled' by me on two instruments so no references from other teachers. Also he had never done music grades, and on top of that, he dropped his violin during the audition!! :o

I think it's great that Forest kept an open mind and gave him a chance, whereas Bancroft's didn't even invite him for an audition...!

Good luck to all of you with the decision process!
OldBean

Post by OldBean »

That's great news Settembrini they can obviously spot talent. Must be a no brainier decision with a scholarship. Well done to your son.
City Dad

Post by City Dad »

A reply to OldBean regarding Bancrofts, Chigwell and Forest. If you are interested, The Telegraph 2015 GCSE tables (Independant Schools) ranks Bancroft at 14, Chigwell at 91 and Forest 120. In the 2014 tables, Bancroft was 41, Chigwell was 110 and Forest was 80.

Congratulations to you and Settembrini firstly.

We have visited Bancrofts and we found it to be very academic with impressive facilities. Chigwell is a lot smaller school, again good academically. However, we felt a lot to be desired at Forest but we cannot comment on the Girls School though. Our daughter was invited to the Forest Scholarship exams along with a group of girls when the Girl Guide was pushed over by a Boy from the Boys School who ran off laughing. This was rather shocking. We have first hand experience that there seem to be other 'problems' at Forest, therefore we moved our son because of this incident, 'problems' and the poor pastoral care that we felt lacking for our son. Our daughter chose another school nearer to us in the end.

I am sorry if this sounds rather negative but at the end of the day you have to weigh up everything in deciding the best school for your child and most importantly, they have to be happy there, as they will be there till aged 16. Forest does have good facilities it is the other factors that you need to aware of.
OldBean

Post by OldBean »

City Dad wrote:A reply to OldBean regarding Bancrofts, Chigwell and Forest. If you are interested, The Telegraph 2015 GCSE tables (Independant Schools) ranks Bancroft at 14, Chigwell at 91 and Forest 120. In the 2014 tables, Bancroft was 41, Chigwell was 110 and Forest was 80.

We have visited Bancrofts and we found it to be very academic with impressive facilities. Chigwell is a lot smaller school, again good academically. However, we felt a lot to be desired at Forest but we cannot comment on the Girls School though. Our daughter was invited to the Forest Scholarship exams along with a group of girls when the Girl Guide was pushed over by a Boy from the Boys School who ran off laughing. This was rather shocking. We have first hand experience that there seem to be other 'problems' at Forest, therefore we moved our son because of this incident, 'problems' and the poor pastoral care that we felt lacking for our son. Our daughter chose another school nearer to us in the end.

I am sorry if this sounds rather negative but at the end of the day you have to weigh up everything in deciding the best school for your child and most importantly, they have to be happy there, as they will be there till aged 16. Forest does have good facilities it is the other factors that you need to aware of.
Thanks City Dad for your thoughts, it's always good to hear from people who have first hand experience. I guess Forest was our back up school and in reality we will choose between Bancrofts and Chigwell. It's worrying to hear that you experienced such problems there.
israrliaqat

Post by israrliaqat »

OldBean wrote:
City Dad wrote:A reply to OldBean regarding Bancrofts, Chigwell and Forest. If you are interested, The Telegraph 2015 GCSE tables (Independant Schools) ranks Bancroft at 14, Chigwell at 91 and Forest 120. In the 2014 tables, Bancroft was 41, Chigwell was 110 and Forest was 80.

Hi all,

What would your advice be in our situation? Our son has been offered a 50% scholarship to Forest and also very likely has a place at Ilford County High Grammar School. Bancroft have offered him a full fee paying place, but in the time that we applied to the Indies, my job situation has become somewhat tenuous so I am hesitant to take this place up even though it was my school of choice.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA
City Dad

Post by City Dad »

All the best of luck OldBean in your decision in choosing the right school for your child.
City Dad

Post by City Dad »

Hi israrliaqat

Yes, it is a tough choice if your child has an award from Forest. If it helps please look at the Daily Telegraph 2015 GCSE tables State Schools Ilford County High against the Daily Telegraph 2015 GCSE tables for Independent Schools Forest. Also compare them with your other offers.

Yes academically it is important so must be the pastoral care as well.

I am sure you will make the right choice in the end as a parent.
israrliaqat

Post by israrliaqat »

City Dad wrote:Hi israrliaqat

Yes, it is a tough choice if your child has an award from Forest. If it helps please look at the Daily Telegraph 2015 GCSE tables State Schools Ilford County High against the Daily Telegraph 2015 GCSE tables for Independent Schools Forest. Also compare them with your other offers.

Yes academically it is important so must be the pastoral care as well.

I am sure you will make the right choice in the end as a parent.
Thanks City Dad, I will do that. Much appreciated.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now