HaBs vs JLS, missed out on MT- advice please

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cake999

HaBs vs JLS, missed out on MT- advice please

Post by Cake999 »

Hi my DS was fortunate enough to get an offer from HABS and JLS. Unfortunately his first choice was MTS but he didn't passed the exam stage.

He is leaning more towards JLS as he thinks he will be happy there. He has cousins there who say positive things about it. However it's hard to turn down HaBs. He think he won't be happy there-due to combination of factors- open day, 'scary lady' at interview and peers not saying positive things about HaBs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Cake999 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
coolmum123

Re: HaBs vs JLS, missed out on MT- advice please

Post by coolmum123 »

That's a difficult one isn't it? Academically Habs does achieve better results, but it is a very competitive environment so if your DS isn't of a tough character he may get lost in the crowd (so to speak). My friends DS started at Habs this year and although he has settled in well, he does find school life hard because of all the activities they are expected to do and the routine. From what my friend tells me it seems like the teachers are quite strict and there didn't seem to an allowance for an 'easing in' period like they have at the girls school. Can you ask to go round the schools again before you have to decide?

Not sure I've been much help!
Good luck.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I would suggest that you ask both the schools to let you and your DS visit as soon as possible after half term. With any luck the 'scary lady' at Habs will be otherwise occupied and your son will get a more equal view of the two schools.

I can't help thinking, though, that there must be a reason why you applied tho these particular schools in the first place (I have next to no knowledge of independent schools in your area, but I assume that it isn't a case of 'Habs and MTS equal first in every league table in the western hemisphere, John Lyon not even mentioned as a footnote'?) - what would you have done if the only offer he got was from the one that he prefers out of the two he has? I can appreciate that even amongst desirable schools, some are perceived as more desirable than others, but the general advice would be that the best school is the one which is the best fit for the child concerned.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I agree ToadMum, the best fit is the most important thing. Its a gut feeling thing really - I could see my DC almost visibly blossom when we visited the school's they preferred. Which one do you feel he would be most suited to/like best?
Cake999

Post by Cake999 »

Thank you everyone.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Habs choose very carefully using a combination of performance in the exam and at interview.

They turn down a lot of boys who are desperate to go there. They would not have given your ds an offer unless they were sure he would thrive there. I have a copy of the offer letters from Habs and St Albans this year. (Such a lovely touch to include a separate personal letter to the ds who did all the hard work in the first place.) Habs talks in their letter about the considerable potential shown by your son in the exam and interview so it is clear that they think he is the right calibre.

All the prep school boys I know of from Harrow and N London are very clear that MT and Habs are neck and neck, then it is St Albans, then it is John Lyon.

If your ds is capable of doing well at Habs and his only issue is one female teacher then I would send him to Habs. As for his peers saying negative things are you sure they are not just jealous because he got an offer and they did not. I know a terrific bunch of boys going this year and another bunch already there. All the boys I know who sat the four schools said the JL exam was very easy and not challenging at all. If he wanted to go to MT then Habs will be more like MT than JL will. DG
Hope4chance

Post by Hope4chance »

We did not get the chance to have offers from the tough schools which we applied for!
But our son was honest with us as he would be unable to blossom or have the click there and he is happy that he did not get the offers.
He is bright shiny boy.. Well talkative but he can not creat under the pressure!
Some times we thought we are trying to do the best for our children by pushing them toward the hard things! But this would be against their wishes and abilities, I guess this is really horrible mistake! I agree with " the best fit is the most important" as ToadMum said..
Good luck with your choice and all the best for your DS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now