Waiting list

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hope4chance

Waiting list

Post by Hope4chance »

Hi dears..
A question came into my mind .. ( do all children ,who interviewed previously, would be put on a waiting list if they did not get the offers? or some of them will be dropped even from the waiting list?)
Regards
Ladymuck

Re: Waiting list

Post by Ladymuck »

There are 3 options: offer, wait list, or rejection. So no, not every child will be on waitlist.
Hope4chance

Post by Hope4chance »

Thanks a lot for the information ladymuck.
indiesecondaryparent

Post by indiesecondaryparent »

another question regarding waiting list please - if I send the letter of acceptance to an independent school and pay the deposit, but hear of a place being made available at a waitlisted school subsequently , say a week after the acceptance deadline,-
will I end up paying a terms fee in addition to deposit paid to the school where I accepted initially?
Hope4chance

Post by Hope4chance »

I am not sure dear! But I think if it is nonrefundable, in this case you have to pay the full term. Because the schools put a condition of a certain period notice.
I've been advised to not to pay anything till the time mentioned in the offer letter!
I know some schools, today is the last day if I am not wrong !
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Our offer letter states that if we accept and pay the deposit and subsequently change our mind and give up the place at any point before DS would be due to start at the school, we would lose the deposit and also become liable for the first term's fees in full. It may not be exactly the same in all indie schools, but I think it is quite common. Is there anything about terms and conditions on the website of the school you are considering? If not, it would be worth asking admissions directly.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

They are all different. Some you will just lose the deposit, others a terms fees and it can depend on timing. Try to remember that if you accept a place that you don't want then you will possibly be affecting another child on the wait list for that school. I know it's dog eat dog out there, but still important that we remember there will be some children in very difficult positions waiting for news.