GL Pattern

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sony

GL Pattern

Post by sony »

My son will be sitting for the grammer exams next year. we live in guildford. mostly the schools he will applying is tiifin boys , sutton boys , wilson and wallington. also RGS which is the next option. Can some one explain me what pattern the exams are . Should i prepare him as per gl Nfer pattern. do they cover maths, english , vr , nvr. the more i read more confused i get. i want to start his preparation , not sure where to , any ideas and suggestion will be helpful. is any one else there in guildford and in the same boat as me. please help. are these schools catchment based. is any other schools i can apply.
Ladymuck

Re: GL Pattern

Post by Ladymuck »

Try http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ey-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The schools write their own papers. All schools apart from Wallington have 2 rounds, one multiple choice, and the second written. The exams are written by the schools, with the 3 Sutton grammars sharing a single first round paper. You will need to read the schools admissions policies for details of catchment spaces, but if you live near Guildford you will be out of catchment for Tiffin. You would have to score very highly to get a place at Sutton Grammar. Wilson's advise you not to apply if your journey time would be more than an hour.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

If you live in Guildford your son won't be eligible for a place at Tiffin Boys. I believe he could sit the exam but will have no chance of a place there. I'm fairly sure Guildford must be more than 14km away from the school. Have you checked the admissions criteria for Tiffin and the other schools you've listed?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sutton is easy enough by train from Guildford, but would you seriously consider the journey to Wallington or Wilson's for your DS, five days a week, thirty nine weeks a year, for five or seven years? Are the secondary schools in Guildford really that dire?

Eta: Just read the last part of your post again - why on earth are you talking about sending your child to schools into which you appear to have done no basic research? A quick look at the Admissions section on their websites would tell you whether or not they have catchment areas :shock: . Please forgive me, but I would sincerely hope that there are very few residents of Guildford who are 'in the same boat' as you. Most people look at schools in or at least near the place they have chosen to live in (the wilder posts you read on this forum really are the exception to normality), not getting on for thirty miles away.
Last edited by ToadMum on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

ToadMum wrote:Sutton is easy enough by train from Guildford, but would you seriously consider the journey to Wallington or Wilson's for your DS, five days a week, thirty nine weeks a year, for five or seven years? Are the secondary schools in Guildford really that dire?
+1. Also, Sutton Grammar has introduced a preference for local boys recently - all details are in the admissions policy document on the school website.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

sony wrote:My son will be sitting for the grammer exams next year. we live in guildford. mostly the schools he will applying is tiifin boys , sutton boys , wilson and wallington. also RGS which is the next option. Can some one explain me what pattern the exams are . Should i prepare him as per gl Nfer pattern. do they cover maths, english , vr , nvr. the more i read more confused i get. i want to start his preparation , not sure where to , any ideas and suggestion will be helpful. is any one else there in guildford and in the same boat as me. please help. are these schools catchment based. is any other schools i can apply.
I recommend you engage the services of a tutor. Capitalisation, spelling, grammar and punctuation will be important for the English component of the examinations.
Animis opibusque parati
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Please think very carefully about the commute.
My son finished at Wilson's tonight at 6.20 after CCF. Same every Tues for him and the 100 or so others in his year doing it. Away matches on Thurs and then there's orchestra...
Of course they don't have to do these things but they have fun doing them.
They are all in at 8.15 to get to their lockers in time.
Before you go any further I would do the journey to all the schools you mention on public transport on a school day making sure you arrive on time. Kill some time checking out the local area and then do the return. Then decide if they really are viable options.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Depending where in Guildford you are there are some very good schools in the area such as George Abbot, Howard of Effingham etc. I can't imagine for one second why you would prioritise a long horrible commute for your son to attend a GS over the good schools you have in your area.
Catlady

Post by Catlady »

As Purpleduck has already said, the connection from Guildford to Sutton by rail is direct and quite quick - when the trains are on time. For Sutton Grammar school which is probably your best option commuterwise, though a certain quantity of places have been reserved for children within restricted postcodes, the remainder depend on exam result scores. So your son is in with a competitive chance of getting a place if he meets the standard - wishing him well in his endeavours.

My DS says some of his year group in year 7 have 2 hours of travel each way daily which must be very challenging for them.

Catlady
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

My DS says some of his year group in year 7 have 2 hours of travel each way daily which must be very challenging for them.
I wish such a long commute to the school was in the remit of NSPCC. :roll: :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now