St Bernards Grammer BERKSHIRE entry 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bwia12345

St Bernards Grammer BERKSHIRE entry 2016

Post by bwia12345 »

Being new to this forum and indeed to the whole 11plus system i am now starting tutoring and hoping to get my daughter in to St Bernards in Slough.
On another 11 plus forum it says that all eligible Roman Catholics were admitted in 2015.

I am reading this to mean that any applicants that got 111 or over that year that are Catholic were offered a place.
I would be grateful if someone could confirm this.

Also does one have to be prcitsing Catholic or just baptised.
thanks
Tinkers

Re: St Bernards Grammer BERKSHIRE entry 2016

Post by Tinkers »

Here is the admissions policy for entry sept 2016

http://www.st-bernards.slough.sch.uk/wp ... ENTRY1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From my understanding practising catholic must be baptised and practising, Catholic just baptised.

See the historic data for Slough schools at the top of this section for info too.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I googled it:
http://www.st-bernards.slough.sch.uk/admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The front page of the admissions section of the school website states "baptised with a reference from a priest". And yes, they would have to qualify through the 11 plus.
Sorry - crossed with Tinkers
scary mum
bwia12345

Post by bwia12345 »

thanks for both of your speedy responses.
So can I just confirm that where it says " All eligible Roman Catholic and Christian applicants were admitted in 2015"means that all children of either Catholic or Christian faith that scored111 or above regardless of where they live and whether they were pracitising or not were offered places?

thanks again
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think you would have to ask the school. The entry criteria are quite specific once places are over subscribed, but maybe they weren't?
scary mum
got to keep going

Post by got to keep going »

All Catholic children whether practising or not who scored 111 or above in the Slough 11+ for 2015 entry who wanted a place in St Bernard's got it.
If you look at the admissions policy that Tinkers has provided you a link to, it shows that practising Catholics (supported by Priest signing sup. form) are higher on the over subscription criteria list. So practising Catholics are offered a place ahead of non practising Catholics. However as the school has only had around an 80% Catholic intake in recent years you have a high chance of your child being offered a place if they get the 111+ and are Baptised - even without Priest's signature.
bwia12345

Post by bwia12345 »

Thanks so much " got to keep going".
Do you happen to have a child at the school and if so are you/they happy?
got to keep going

Post by got to keep going »

Yes bwia12345 I have a year 7 child at the school and we and they are very happy. Please feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
maxtom

Post by maxtom »

At the St Bernard's open evening last year I think the head said the school was around 70% Catholic and that for the last few years all baptised Catholics (practising or not) who passed the 11+ were offered places. Also worth noting that St Bernard's has no distance criterion, it just goes on religious affiliation, whether practising or not, and 11+ score.
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

My dd is going there from September.
We're really happy as it's where she sat the test and is where she's wanted to go to for a while (or ages lol)!!

Any other dc going? And if so from where?

We're local Catholics :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now