Distance places for Watford Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sarah2016

Distance places for Watford Girls

Post by sarah2016 »

We were due to complete on a house this week and it has fallen through, i am now thinking the logical thing to do would be to rent for a year, somewhere very close to the girls grammar. We had intended on this being our first choice anyway and our daughter is being tutored in the hope of a good score. The property we were purchasing was 600 metres from the school and the property we are looking to rent is 225 metres. We werw hoping a good score + location would help us gain entry.

Do you think we'd get a definaite location place on this ?

The plan would be to rent until she gets in and then hopefully another house would come up locally as i really want her to be able to walk to and from school each day, she isnt a very street wise child & the thought of sending her off on a bus across Watford worries me. I also have a son who needs to get to infants and driving her to school then him isnt an option.

I know nothing is definite but i'd like to know what our chances are on 225 metres. I've looked at the historical info but it still worries me that the distance could drop further.
Cutting42

Re: Distance places for Watford Girls

Post by Cutting42 »

sarah2016 wrote:We were due to complete on a house this week and it has fallen through, i am now thinking the logical thing to do would be to rent for a year, somewhere very close to the girls grammar. We had intended on this being our first choice anyway and our daughter is being tutored in the hope of a good score. The property we were purchasing was 600 metres from the school and the property we are looking to rent is 225 metres. We werw hoping a good score + location would help us gain entry.

Do you think we'd get a definaite location place on this ?

The plan would be to rent until she gets in and then hopefully another house would come up locally as i really want her to be able to walk to and from school each day, she isnt a very street wise child & the thought of sending her off on a bus across Watford worries me. I also have a son who needs to get to infants and driving her to school then him isnt an option.

I know nothing is definite but i'd like to know what our chances are on 225 metres. I've looked at the historical info but it still worries me that the distance could drop further.
As you say nothing is definite but at 225m you stand a very good chance based on the history; 2013 - 478m, 2014 - 250m, 2015 - 247m. There are several flats very very close to WGGS and there are many for rent to people such as yourself and others who are perhaps more cynical, renting to get entrance and then moving back to Pinner or wherever once settled. It is a contentious topic as you might imagine.

General good advice is to not limit yourself to one entrance rule and look at music and academic entry to supplement your chances. In any case, as you will no doubt hear when you attend Dame Helens speech, the focus of WGGS is academic hard work and a high level of achievement is expected with active discouragement to DD expecting an easy ride. It is quite a shock that speech when you first hear it ;-)
sarah2016

Post by sarah2016 »

We actually live in Watford, so i understand how this is a sticky subject esp when those outside of the area come in to rent properties and get places at the school. Our flat has sold so we need to be out but do not have the house we had hoped to buy to move into. It wasnt a planned move to get her into the school, but would like to rent close to area where we hope to buy. Also our son would just miss out on the sibling rule so again this isnt a grand plan to get the entire family into Watford Gram.

We went to visit the school last year and yes her speech is rather direct, but exactly what we want for our daughter, she is very bright and doing well with tutition so hopefully the extra distance will really help. Thanks for your reply.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

Bear in mind Dame Helen Hyde has handed in her resignation.

I have two DDs there already, and another will join them in 2017, so am looking forward to what the future brings.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

She has been there a long time hasn't she? There may well be quite a few changes. DG
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I have what must be one of the least streetwise eleven-year olds in S.W
Herts. She daydreams, has no sense of direction, and is absent-minded and naïve. I just wanted to reassure you that she manages to successfully get the bus to WGGS and back. She enjoys the bus journey and has bonded with her 'bus squad'.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

<waves to k1w1mum who I 'know' from another forum>
sarah2016

Post by sarah2016 »

Yes im sure she could manage to get the bus but if she can walk even better.

Yes i do wonder what changes will come once the head leaves.

Unfortunatly the property i mentioned went within an hour, some eager parents were quick on that one lol.

Can anyone tell me where they measure from out of interest ?
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

sarah2016 wrote:Yes im sure she could manage to get the bus but if she can walk even better.

Yes i do wonder what changes will come once the head leaves.

Unfortunatly the property i mentioned went within an hour, some eager parents were quick on that one lol.

Can anyone tell me where they measure from out of interest ?
I believe it is the school gate.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

3b1g wrote:<waves to k1w1mum who I 'know' from another forum>
Waves back! Late as usual
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now