Should I worry if DS doesn't know what he wants to do?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PurpleDuck

Should I worry if DS doesn't know what he wants to do?

Post by PurpleDuck »

DS1 is in Y10 and doing 11 IGSCEs next year. He does not seem to have a particular area of interest (apart from football and Xbox :roll: ) - he is very good at maths and physics, but also enjoying English, history and TP. Last weekend I asked him whether there was anything particular that he was interested in more than in other subjects and he said 'not really'. I'm not even trying to ask what he would like to do when he is older - he has not thought this far yet and is simply enjoying school. Is it normal for a 14-15 y.o. not to know what he wants to do when he grows up or should I be concerned? I would be grateful for any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance! :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
copella

Re: Should I worry if DS doesn't know what he wants to do?

Post by copella »

My y10 DS has no idea either, I am not worried his y13 brother only decided which degree to apply for in October last year. I had no idea what I wanted to do at that age either. Both DS's have chosen subjects they enjoy with the eldest now taking A levels in maths, history and economics which I think has been a good mix and allowed him a lot of choice as maths is seen as a science for quite a few courses.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Totally normal!

He will need to think about A levels in about 8 or 9 months - even then, keeping a selection that keeps doors open, is important.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

He's got ages yet - even in this day and age, some people haven't completely decided by the time they go to university. With DS1, the progression went from putting 'not yet decided' when asked on his options form to saying that he wanted to be an English teacher - to studying Biochemistry at university :lol: . Not that he actually mentioned anything to me in between times, although I did wonder at the A level choices of Maths and 3 sciences, English nowhere in sight...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Thank you all, I appreciate you getting back to me. No need to panic, then. Now, that I'm done with DS2's 11+, I'm finding myself paying more attentionn to DS1 again and possibly going into an overdrive mode. :lol:

Funny you mention biochemistry, ToadMum, this is what my 11yo says he wants to do, at the moment at least... He is very, very different from his brother. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If it's any comfort, I am currently having loads of fun researching schools of Architecture, as DS2 (age 13!) has decided that this is what he wants to do. As to what his sister (year 10) will end up doing, we have no idea. I've forgotten what this week's decision was, but I'm not too worried, because she will insist that she wants to do something completely different in a few days time :roll:

BTW, Architecture would almost seem to be the perfect degree, given that for most places, no particular A level subjects are required. Apart from those schools which do specify or at least strongly recommend certain subjects. So if you come to the decision 'late', you may have inadvertently made your chances of getting into those much more difficult :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

This actually is very comforting, indeed - thank you, ToadMum! :D
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

My year 10 boy has no idea. I hope that by choosing subjects he enjoys he'll end up with a career he enjoys. He did have an interest in Architecture for a while so GCSE Art has kept that door open.

He is really enjoying Economics and Geography. As someone who loved science and maths I've given up on how his mind works!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

The only faint hint of any idea from ours (a couple of weeks ago) was "maybe an academic". You have to read his school reports for the last twelve years to fully appreciate the irony of that one.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mike1880 wrote:The only faint hint of any idea from ours (a couple of weeks ago) was "maybe an academic". You have to read his school reports for the last twelve years to fully appreciate the irony of that one.
Being an academic rocks, Mike - it is the best fun I have had in all my many incarnations. Tell him to go for it - you get to hang around with trendy types like me discussing things we never have a hope of influencing and then writing about them for an audience of three in journals no one ever buys. People you meet say things like 'wow, you must be really clever' before glazing over totally and asking if you saw X Factor. Which of course you didn't because it is too far beneath you. 8)

PurpleDuck - it has taken me a whole lifetime to get to what I want to do. My 19 year old hasn't really decided yet, and she has also proved that if you get decent grades at A level, it doesn't really matter what subjects you chose as there is always a way into the courses you fancy if you are determined enough. Let him explore and he will think of something in the end - though if he is like me you may have a bit of a wait.