Gifted and Talented

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarymary

Gifted and Talented

Post by scarymary »

I'd love to know if any forum users have a child on the G & T register, and how they feel about it.
One of my offspring is on this register, and although very bright, I wouldn't say she was exceptional. Maybe standards are so low in schools now that what was seen as a good average 20 years ago is now deemed worthy of entry on a government list!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The definition of G&T is quite unusual - a certain % at THAT school - so you can be G&T at one school and not another!

This can be an issue when moving from Primary to secondary -
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I can only give you my experience as a school governor and how it has affected our school.Our head is not a fan of the system purely because it is a numbers exercise.For example,the school was told to identify 10% of their pupils for the register-but those children who were deemed "G&T" may not make it onto the register at another school.Also schools with lower standards would be putting children on the register that would never make it in another school.So it is all rather subjective!
We do have workshops with other schools for English and Maths,and a group of Y6 had a term of Mandarin Chinese.I think what our school tries to do is not single these children out but try and involve them in class activities but with a "G&T" slant-stretching those that are the most able.It is not only the academic subjects that are involved-PE,art etc have talented children and it shows the children that you may not be good at academia but you are a fab artist or sportsman!!
Hope this makes sense!
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi, my daughter has been on the G&T register for 2 or 3 years- it seems a bit of a number exersize to me too, she doesn't get much stretching, although they have one session per month with the Head Teacher doing a "Brain Academy" afternoon.

She has been to another school for 8 weeks to a G&T maths class, but that is now over.

She also was invited to two sessions for G&T sports at a local college.

I think the school has to identify these children and have funding to spend, whether they spend it? who knows?
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

Yes, I agree Gloucestermum, it's this subjectivity that makes the whole exercise seem pointless.
On the one hand, I feel proud that my child is on this list - who wouldn't - but on the other hand, I have this nagging feeling that it means b****r all.
Does this register cut much ice with 11+ examination boards, or do they take it with a large pinch of salt?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Also discussed on this thread, it may be of interest....

What's the point?
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

Thanks Bewildered - very interesting!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Sort of the same topic, does anyone know anything about special needs funding in primary schools?

My DD is currently in Yr 2 but is working at high level 3 standard. Her current teacher is fantastic, very no nonsense calls a spade a spade etc. He has said that he believes she is genuinely gifted and to his credit he puts in a great deal of extra work with her to keep stretching her and stop her from getting bored.

My concern is when she moves in to Yr 3. Her school has a separate juniors with a separate Head and funding etc (although both schools are on one site). DD is very bright but will get bored if things are too "easy" and, unlike DS, she doesn't care if the teacher knows she finds things too easy!!

To get to the point of my ramble, I have heard that Special Needs funding should also be available for those children who need extra help because they need to be working at a different pace from the rest of the year group (there are 2 other girls in the same position as her). Does anyone know if this is right? I am concerned that if she is bored she will stop participating and trying etc (again unlike DS who loves to be praised and so would try even if bored etc)

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Special needs funding is for those on the SEN register - not the gifted and talented.

The definition of 'special needs' is a minefield -

The current focus on developing G&T and the training going into schools should help

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/gifted ... d/quality/

In Bucks the LA has offered training to every school and so it has become quite high-profile. Focusing on G&T raises attainment of all children ...
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Thanks Guest55, I will have a read of that :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now