Word - Code question help please

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

irena16

Word - Code question help please

Post by irena16 »

Hi!
I have this old test without answers and I am not sure. Can you help, please?

Q 74. If the code for LUCK is MWFO, what is the code for GOOD?

DS came up with HQRH following the pattern but I was telling him that each letter in a word has a specific letter in a code so OO could not be two different letters, and then HH cannot stand for G and D.
What do you think?

Thanks!
ToadMum

Re: Word - Code question help please

Post by ToadMum »

irena16 wrote:Hi!
I have this old test without answers and I am not sure. Can you help, please?

Q 74. If the code for LUCK is MWFO, what is the code for GOOD?

DS came up with HQRH following the pattern but I was telling him that each letter in a word has a specific letter in a code so OO could not be two different letters, and then HH cannot stand for G and D.
What do you think?

Thanks!
If you work out how the first letter in LUCK relates to the first letter in its code equivalent, then how the second letter relates to the second letter, how the third....etc, you will see that a double letter in one will not necessarily give a doubled letter in the other.

How did you yourself think that MWFO was derived from LUCK and how did your son work it out?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

That's a pretty interesting code if you ask me. The first letter is shifted by one letter in the alphabet (M is one letter after L), the second letter is shifted by two letters (W is two letters after U), etc.

So to map GOOD, we'd have to shift G by one letter, O by two letters, O by three letters and D by four letters. I make that HQRH.

Your DS is one smart cookie. :-)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Goodheart wrote:That's a pretty interesting code if you ask me. The first letter is shifted by one letter in the alphabet (M is one letter after L), the second letter is shifted by two letters (W is two letters after U), etc.

So to map GOOD, we'd have to shift G by one letter, O by two letters, O by three letters and D by four letters. I make that HQRH.

It helps to remember that each letter can (and should) be looked at as an individual, so to speak, when looking for the connection, but even with my limited study of VR, I think it's safe to say the it is not a particularly uncommon type of question.

Someone else will probably be able to tell you that it is a 'type X' or whatever :) , but I'm afraid that I can't.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
irena16

Post by irena16 »

How did you yourself think that MWFO was derived from LUCK and how did your son work it out?
The code for LUCK is MWFO - this information is given. One needs to find the code for GOOD. This is from Walsh book, test 1c, Q74, not sure which book exactly.

Thanks for the answers!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Goodheart wrote:That's a pretty interesting code if you ask me. The first letter is shifted by one letter in the alphabet (M is one letter after L), the second letter is shifted by two letters (W is two letters after U), etc.

Yes - you have a very clever boy, Irena16, he is spot on. :D
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)