Computer virus warning

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PurpleDuck

Computer virus warning

Post by PurpleDuck »

I've have just received a computer virus warning and it sounds quite nasty, so I thought I would share it. Warn your DCs to be extra careful when they are surfing the net. Please see the details below:
Dear colleague,

A new version of malware, known as Locky Ransomware, is spreading quickly. Ransomware is a malicious software that denies you access to your computer or files until you pay a ransom. The malware encrypts files on your computer and may lock your screen, making your computer completely useless and inaccessible.

This particular malware works as follows:

1. You receive an e-mail containing an attached Microsoft Word file, claiming to be an invoice that requires a macro (Note: Microsoft has disabled Macros are disabled by default by Microsoft due to the security dangers. Users get a warning if a document contains one).

2. If you enable the macro, it will download and install Locky on your computer. Locky will encrypt files on your computer, as well as any files found on network shares, even ones that are not locally mapped on your machine.

3. If your try to access files, you will be asked to pay a ransom to unlock them.

Presently, there is no known way to break the encryption, used by the Locky virus, and recover the files. If you have enabled the macro you may have lost your information permanently.

Locky Ransomware is a high severity infection and because of this, you are requested to follow the below listed safe-computing practices, diligently:

1. Do not click on unsolicited web links in email messages.

2. Use caution when opening email attachments. Be extremely wary of any Microsoft Office email attachment that advises you to enable macros to view its content. Unless you are absolutely sure that it is a genuine email from a trusted source, do not enable macros. Instead delete the email immediately.

3. Maintain up to date anti-virus software.

4. Regularly check if PC backup has completed its daily back up routine. If your computer becomes infected, your files can be restored from the latest backup once the malware has been removed.

5. Keep your system up to date by regularly installing the latest software patches.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Amber

Re: Computer virus warning

Post by Amber »

Or get a Mac. 8)
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Are they really totally virus-proof? I might think about it, then (or just don't go online, ever again - fat chance :lol: )
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We have Macs at work and one of the ones which is communal has managed to acquire a virus, so Macs are not immune.
Amber

Post by Amber »

PurpleDuck wrote:Are they really totally virus-proof? I might think about it, then (or just don't go online, ever again - fat chance :lol: )
Well all we have here are Macs and touch wood have never had a virus. I gather that if you have them on some kind of corporate server they aren't immune, but in the domestic setting I think to all intents and purposes yes they are.

But there are so many other reasons to get them...for a start you don't have to listen to the fans whirring, nor wait for them to start up while the anti-virus software trundles along, and they are prettier, sleeker, no huge hard drive needed, and they last longer, and the software is much nicer and more user friendly, and your iPhone just looks like them and speaks to them with no bother and they are so intuitive and...no I don't work for Apple but I would not have a Windows computer if you paid me now!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Amber wrote:... no I don't work for Apple but I would not have a Windows computer if you paid me now!
Not yet, but a few more posts like this and you will end up getting head-hunted! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

PurpleDuck wrote:
Amber wrote:... no I don't work for Apple but I would not have a Windows computer if you paid me now!
Not yet, but a few more posts like this and you will end up getting head-hunted! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've been head-hunted twice in my life, both times for teaching jobs. Apple - here I am! Take me, I'm yours. (Sees free computers, phones etc, rather than piles of marking and snotty-nosed kids).
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I could relate to that, I think.... :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now