How many ALevels to take and "facilitating subjects"?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
avidskier

How many ALevels to take and "facilitating subjects"?

Post by avidskier »

My DD (currently Y11) can't decide on her fourth subject and the level and has no idea what she wants to take at Uni (likely to be law or something humanities based and she will aim for a Russell Group but not Oxbridge). She has currently opted for her 2 strongest subjects, English and History and Government & Politics.

I am a little worried about Government & Politics not being on the "facilitating subjects" list and was trying to encourage her to therefore choose a fourth subject from that list. Her school (highly selective indie) only offers Sciences, Maths or Geography otherwise from the said list. She is not terribly keen and the school have been quite adamant that there is no point in doing subjects from differing fields.

As a result she has provisionally opted for a fourth subject: Economics (either AS or A level) - again not on facilitating subjects list.

Does anyone have any advice on combinations, number of subjects (should she even bother with a fourth?) and the whole "facilitating subjects" thing?
Amber

Re: How many ALevels to take and "facilitating subjects"?

Post by Amber »

If you don’t know what you want to study at university then it’s a really good rule of thumb that taking two facilitating subjects will keep a wide range of degree courses open to you.
From the RG's own website.

She has two so why worry about the third? DS is doing Government and Politics and absolutely loves it. He is now more of an expert on UK politics than either of his parents and is also very well informed about the US presidential election. Like many at his GS, he is now only doing three subjects - the patchy and incomplete reforms to the A levels have meant a massive drop-off of the fourth subject pre-AS levels. If she really really has to choose a fourth I would suggest Geography as it will cover pretty much all her bases; but if the school say she doesn't and she isn't keen, I would let the matter drop. Universities will certainly not be interested in a fourth - at least not if studying it jeopardises the chance of good grades in the remaining three.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

When I was in the sixth form your A levels had to make sense, so when dd1 first entered the sixth form I was horrified to hear some of the combinations.

But now you are encouraged to do what you are good at whilst making sure you are covering what you need to for any field you may be interested in.

Is RS or Philosophy not available? Ethics is a very strong subject and links well into English and History.

Dd1 has started with four and will drop one at the end of Y12. This is what most of her year are going and dd2 who is in Y11 will do the same. They are both History fanatics so this was a given. dd1 is also doing English and dd2 will also.

Our school allows students to choose their own combination and offers 27 different options in four columns.

Maths is the most common A level and lots are combining it with Arts subjects. English, History and Maths is very commons. How are the fields defined in your school? How many fields do they identify? DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
moved

Post by moved »

I would agree - just take three A levels and have a bit more of a life during yrs 12 and 13.
Different if physics / engineering and further maths is required but I cannot see any point in taking 4 unless you need the extra maths.
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

Daogroupie wrote: How are the fields defined in your school? How many fields do they identify? DG
They didn't really specify particular fields but in this instance she was originally contemplating doing Biology in conjunction with her 3 core (English, History and Government and Politics). The school advised against Biology as "it would have no relevance in a university application and as she is not taking Maths she wouldn't be able to read it at university in any case".

She is not allowed to take RS as she didn't take it at GCSE. She already had 10 subjects which she has loved (well - apart from the chemistry and maths!).
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

This previous thread might be of assistance.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 57&t=41125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You don't have to have maths to study biology. Usually two sciences. I would recommend geography as interesting and broad and a good basis for many subjects at university. Or Government & Politics.
scary mum
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

the school have been quite adamant that there is no point in doing subjects from differing fields.
Not sure what they would make of DDs options then, she is taking geography, biology, economics and german!
DC that take the IB instead of A levels always take subjects from differing fields so it seems very strange advice.

Re. Biology, there are several degrees for which it is relevent that do not require maths or another science, physiotherapy for one, so that is also poor advice imo.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Would she think of taking her MFL, at least as an AS? Or does the school not offer this option?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Minesatea wrote: Not sure what they would make of DDs options then, she is taking geography, biology, economics and german!

Sounds a little bit like the combinations in this household Maths, humanities, science +/- MFL - gave plenty of scope at Uni!

Agree used to be much more prescriptive - all science or all humanities or more than one MFL (no point doing just one).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now