Wallington Girls Vs Old Palace

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

samk

Wallington Girls Vs Old Palace

Post by samk »

Hi,
I know this is a question of individual choice, but could anybody advise of which school would be better for a child who is very bright. My DD has been offered a scholarship and will hopefully be offered a place at Wallington next week. Any input either way would be greatly appreciated. I have heard that the Wallington sixth form is not that great but nothing else detrimental about the school.
Thank you so much.
PurpleDuck

Re: Wallington Girls Vs Old Palace

Post by PurpleDuck »

Hi Samk,

I can't offer any insight into girls' schools, but I would say don't worry too much about the sixth form at this stage. As long as your DD gets good GCSE results, she should be able to move to sixth form somewhere else if she wants to.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
samk

Post by samk »

Thank you, just wracking our brains trying to work out which one to choose. In a way I wish we hadn't been offered the scholarship then the choice would have been simple :?
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Which one is easier to get to/offers shorter commute/has a nicer feel/is a better fit for your DD's personality? Congratulations on your DD's scholarship, by the way, she's done very well! :D
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
samk

Post by samk »

Thank you!
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Hi Samk,
My daughter is currently in year 7 at Wally. She also was fortunate to have a choice between that and Scholarships last year,not to Old Palace but GDSTs.
Firstly I've never heard a bad word about Old Palace although we didn't sit for it because I had concerns about her travelling home from there on public transport on a dark evening.
I know many others wouldn't agree but it was just something I couldn't feel comfortable with.
I asked my dd yesterday how she would score WHSG and she said 9/10. It would be 10 if the canteen was bigger so there was less of a queue!
Honestly other than that she feels it's fantastic so far. The atmosphere is very nurturing and friendly. Loads of extra curricular stuff going on. The older girls really look after the younger ones.
Head of year knows them all by name. She takes the register in the year seven classes in rotation so gets to know them.
We have lots of friends with daughters at OP and I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying the academic pace is a bit faster at WHSG.
They have frequent tests and do need to keep up with their work. Homework needs to be done to a good standard but not too onerous.
They finish at 2.50 although my dd has chosen to do something after school each night so leaves at 4. This minimizes travelling in the dark which was a big thing for us.
Haven't heard anything negative about the sixth form and nearly all stay on.
They have a lot of fun. Made caterpaults in DT and then used them to fling sweets at each other on the last day.
My dds overriding comment is that she feels valued for the first time ever at school.
We could have had a place at Nonsuch based on her score. Felt Wallington was more nurturing which was important to us,but it's all so subjective and I'm pretty sure she would have been happy there too.
samk

Post by samk »

Hi Moon Unit,
Thank you so much for your encouraging words! Lets hope tomorrow brings good news for My DD xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now