Pupil Premium 2016 and beyond

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Petitpois

Pupil Premium 2016 and beyond

Post by Petitpois »

Pupil premium - can't make sense of it.

KEVIHS - 209 No rise - but +4 on non PP threshold - did 100% of PP places get taken???

KEA - 209 +2 on PP but non PP drops 3???

CHB - 224 +5 PP even though non PP dropped 5...mmmmmh!

CHG - 216 +6 rise but +4 rise in non PP too

KEFW - 210 + 4 rise n non PP too. but +1 non PP

Rhyme, Reason, I can't make out any, No idea what is going on!!
MSD

Re: Pupil Premium 2016 and beyond

Post by MSD »

Are all these PP cut-off's beyond the minimum applicable cut-off for each school for entry? If yes, then I will assume all places have been taken.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

MSD the way it works is that you must first get the qualifying score. 209 in most cases, but 200 I think for KEFW (not totally sure).

As an Example last year KEVIHS allocated 32 places on PP with the minimum 209 score to be considered. Only 24 applicants came forward with pupil premium.

Consequently the 8 unused places reverted back to the non PP applicants.

I had expected that the PP 20% places would be oversubscribed, thus pushing up the minimum score. I think the 209 tells that 100% or LESS or the available PP places were allocated. In other words, they were not oversubscribed.

I am struggling to get my head round how CHB can have an increase in its PP cut off but a drop in its Non PP. I am wondering whether places like Tudor Grange have taken some of the traditional demand for boys places.

Flummoxed really!!
MSD

Post by MSD »

Yes, that's what I meant.

So in all cases, except one, the last PP cut off is more than the qualifying minimum PP score. Therefore, I would assume that all PP places have been taken apart from KEVIHS.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Petitpois wrote:I am struggling to get my head round how CHB can have an increase in its PP cut off but a drop in its Non PP. I am wondering whether places like Tudor Grange have taken some of the traditional demand for boys places.

Flummoxed really!!
That really tells me that the ability gap between the overall PP and non PP cohort, applying to CHB, has reduced as compared to last year. And that's not at all surprising based on all the discussion we had on this subject in the past few months :wink:
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Yes sorry I am being unclear. Thanks MSD.

+1 on both your comments, that makes sense.

PP
Anigan

Post by Anigan »

Playground arguments breaking out over pp allocations and higher borderline scores which have not gained places. It does seem a little unfair?

Edit: ive just found a thread on pupil premium discussing some of the concerns I have so going to have a read of that...
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

That is ridiculous. I spoke with a 10yr old lad yesterday who got KEA and is over the moon at his place at KEA.

They are conscious of PP, because he told me both his score and PP status.

Last thing kids need is grown's up having a ding dong. Yeezus

Next three years are going to be very very tight for 11+ and catchments as well

PP
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

I've overheard many a conversation at the school gates on how to abuse the PP equation.
Unfortunately the genuine PP candidates are disadvantaged as a result if they lose out by a couple of points.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Now I'm wondering: what did user PP mean by "catchments?"