St Ambrose

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dadoflad

St Ambrose

Post by dadoflad »

Does anyone know how the pass marks work at St Ambrose?
TIDDLYMUM

Re: St Ambrose

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi , as far as I am aware the passmark is 320, it was 315 the year we sat it but that was some years ago. Boys attaining this score are offered places , first in the associated parishes and then I think on score order , it used to be distance at one time but I think that changed too. Are you trying to work something out?
dadoflad

Post by dadoflad »

yes we live in stockport so I'm trying to understand if there is a waiting list or something
Olliesmum

Post by Olliesmum »

dadoflad - did your ds achieve a score above the 320 pass mark then? My ds only got 312, but as we are in catchment and in a local parish/feeder school, I'm just wondering if it is worth putting ds on the waiting list too? (I've heard there may be quite a few who would decline their offer in favour of AGSB or the indi's?)
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

We live in Stockport too. Did your son pass the test but not get a place? If so , might be worth checking with school where he is on the list. I'd say probably not many boys give up an offer at St A to go private, it seems to happen more at AGSB.

When my son sat for St A, we would have been allocated on distance, hence all boys that passed ( including my own) from primary would have got a place. If it's on score then it won't work like that. Did you get an offer of a local school you would be happy with as an alternative?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Ollie's mum,you will need to put an appeal in if you want to be considered for a place. All boys only get one offer so if they put AGSB first and are eligible then that's what they will get and the same for St A. No one will have been offered both on offer day.
dadoflad

Post by dadoflad »

hi tiddly I think we are going to enquire about waiting list tomorrow just to see where it goes
Olliesmum

Post by Olliesmum »

Thanks Tiddlymum! yes - we will put in an appeal. We know it's a long shot. I was just thinking that some of the boys who sat the St Ambrose exam, were doing so as a back up in case they didn't manage to get a pass mark at their first choice - AGSB? In which case these boys will be accepting their AGSB offer, with places becoming available at St Ambrose? :?
dadoflad

Post by dadoflad »

Olliesmum we had the same consideration
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Ollie's, it doesn't work quite like that. The list operates on blind preference, so if the first choice is offered the second one falls away. So everyone offered a place at St A will either have been first choice or unable to be offered their first choice so the next one down is St A. They will have offered all their places out, but any that are declined ( presumably just for an indie offer) will then usually be offered to those on the wait list.

Good luck with your appeal, if your alternative is BTH, then you need have no concerns, it's an excellent school in every way.